Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Students' Caldecott 2013 Choices

During Picture Book Month, inspired by Mr. Schu, I decided to start a Mock Caldecott 2013 Club with my 4th graders.  We read lots of wonderful titles together.   On Friday, I posted an assignment for my students to write a paragraph choosing their favorite 2012 picture book on my classroom blog, Mrs. Mueller's Readers.  Take a look! I was surprised by the variety of the choices.  I don't think there was one clear winner.  It's interesting that "kid appeal" sometimes trumps adult buzz about book award winners.  Here were the favorites mentioned:

Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This Is Not My Hat. Jon Klassen
 
 
 
 
Green
 
 
 
 
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
 
 
 
 
 
Nightsong
 
 
 
 
 
Chloe and the Lion
 
 
 
Another Brother
 
 
 
Each Kindness
 
 
 
 
 
 
Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
 
 
 
 
 
Bear Has a Story to Tell
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
HONORABLE MENTIONS:
 
Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
 
Island: A Story of the Galápagos

Island: A Story of the Galapagos by Jason Chin

A Home for Bird 

A Home for Bird by Philip C. Stead

hello! hello!

hello! hello! by Matthew Cordell


 Bully

Bully by Patricia Polacco


I think that covers it!  My students and I are SOOOOOO excited for the ALA Youth Media Awards on January 28th, 2013.  I hope to watch it live with at least one of my classes.  We're also rooting for Wonder by R.J. Palacio or The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate to win the Newbery! Even though I don't teach teens, I still read young adult novels, and my pick to win the Printz Award is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I love his video series, the The VlogBrothers even though I can't share it with my students.  They're obviously too young! 
 
If you're looking for my Sunday Review, I've decided to join the bandwagon and post It's Monday! What are you reading? every week instead, so come back tomorrow!
 









 






            



  


   









    

                


 
























No comments:

Post a Comment