Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.


 
Here are the nonfiction books I read this week:
 
 
Courage Has No Color, The True Story of the Triple Nickles: America's First Black Paratroopers
5 of 5 stars
 
 
 
 
"What is courage? What is strength? Perhaps it is being ready to fight for your nation even when your nation isn't ready to fight for you." This is the complete story of the Triple Nickles, America's first black paratroopers during World War II. I just finished Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Deadliest Weapon, and I liked reading an entirely different aspect of that war in this book. It's amazing how many endeavors are going on during a single war. Stone chronicles the difficulties of integrating the military. The formation of the squadron of black paratroopers was a step in the right direction, but even they did not fully gain acceptance at the time. Many accounts of the war do not include these soldiers at all. I found it interesting to read about the leaders of the time and their attitudes toward integration. Eleanor Roosevelt was quite progressive. One of my favorite photos in the book is her flight with C. Alfred Anderson she took to prove her trust in the skills of black pilots. It reminds me of her flight with Amelia Earhart. I am so amazed with the integrity and self-control of the men in the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion while facing discrimintation on the homefront, even when they were treated worse than POWs at times. When asked why a black man would risk his life to help his country, First Sergeant William Morris answered, "This is my country, my children's country, and their children's. It is up to me and many, many people of all races and cultures to fight the haters and racists to make this a better place to live." Stone did an amazing job researching this book, and I especially enjoyed all the photographs.
 
Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment