Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 

 
Here are the nonfiction books I enjoyed this week:
 
Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell
 
5 of 5 stars
Who Says Women Can't Be Doctors? by Tanya Lee Stone, illustrated by Marjorie Priceman

2013-book, biography, character-traits, gifted-girls, leaving-a-legacy, nonfiction, nonfiction-challenge-2013, picture-book, read, science
 
Elizabeth Blackwell defied all odds when she decided she wanted to be a doctor in the 1830s. I loved the snippets about her determination and strong will - she once carried her brother over her head until he backed down from their fight, and she tried sleeping onthe hard floor just to toughen herself up. I thought it was interesting she hadn't always wanted to be a doctor, but when a friend suggested she consider it, there was a seed planted that started to grow. Despite rejection after rejection, she continued to pursue her goal until she achieved it and graduated from medical school in 1849. According to the author's note, she continued to overcome obstacles and opened the first hospital run by women, for women, a medical school just for women, and helped start the National Health Society. Pretty amazing! I also enjoyed the energetic, vibrant illustrations by Marjorie Priceman. My students and I are going to Skype Tanya Leet Stone on World Read Aloud Day - I'm looking forward to sharing this excellent new title with them so we can discuss it with her.  We'll also be discussing another of her excellent books, Courage Has No Color.
 
 
 




Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
 
5 of 5 stars
 
2012-book, adage-proverb-aphorism, biography, gifted, government, history, intermediate-kids-book, leadership, leaving-a-legacy, nonfiction, nonfiction-challenge-2013, picture-book, read, science, social-studies-connections
 
 
This intricately designed and thorough biography of Ben Franklin is truly electric! Franklin's life was fascinating, and Robert Byrd captured the interesting Colonial past and Franklin's ingenuity perfectly. It's hard to imagine how incredibly intelligent Franklin must have been. He was such a forward thinker. His inventions were numerous, his political contributions timeless, and his mastery of language and wit enviable. His legacy will live on forever. Thank you, Ben Franklin, for helping make America great, and thank you, Robert Byrd, for making a unique book about him. I expect the kids in my classroom will be pouring over everything this book has to offer!
 
What nonfiction books have YOU read this week?
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! great looking books Holly. I have been looking for a copy of Electric Ben to read. I am envious of all of the teachers who are able to skype with authors. We just don't have the technology readily available in my building yet. I'm sure your kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete