Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 
 
This week I read:
 
My Daddy, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
 
This book gives insight to Martin Luther King, Jr. as a father. His son describes him as warm and playful, but he knew what an important man he was to social change. It's so sad that Martin Luther King III was only ten years old when his father was killed. The illustrations are warm and bold, capturing the heart of both father and son. This would make a nice pairing with My Brother Martin by Christine King Farris. 
 
     Martin & Mahalia: His Words, Her Song
 
 
 
 
 
Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mahalia Jackson were partners in the civil rights movement. They both used their voices to make changes, inspiring people by using their gifts - he with his moving speeches and she with her songs. I love the last couple page spreads when the book culminates like a gospel song, singing "Amen, Amen, Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, Glory Hallelujah!" Brian Pinkney's illustrations are energetic, full of movement. A dove is flying throughout the story, symbolizing peace, and explained more fully in the illustrator's notes in the back. Andrea Pinkney teaches us a lot about this inspiring pair. The whole design of the book is creative and lively.
 
Flying Solo: How Ruth Elder Soared into America's Heart
 
 
I loved seeing Ruth Elder in this video.  Hang in there - she comes on about halfway through.
 
 
 
 
I love stories about the women pioneers in flight. Ruth Elder looked like a beauty queen, but she didn't want to follow conventions in 1927 and stay home to keep house. She wanted to fly an airplane. She wasn't able to cross the Atlantic Ocean flying solo, but that didn't stop her. She still captured America's hearts and went on to the Vaudeville stage and Hollywood. She also competed in the "Powder Puff Derby," a cross-country air race along with nineteen other women, including Amelia Earhart. Elder finished fifth. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this story.
 
What nonfiction have YOU enjoyed this week?
 

4 comments:

  1. Great post about some amazing Americans :) Looking forward to reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of fun books! I reviewed Moonshot this week and so enjoyed it. I love books about women doing awesome things, too. In general, I love how non-fiction picture books can celebrate people who paved the way for us to be where we are today but especially when they highlight women who made an impact. Girl power! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it, but I haven't read any nonfiction kids books to my daughter this week. I've read a lot of nonfiction (myself), but not to my daughter. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Holly. Will be pulling something out so we can do some learning together later today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how interesting so many of the nonfiction picture books are. I think books like these help kids want to explore the individuals and topics further. Thanks for linking up! :-)

    ReplyDelete