Sunday, September 8, 2013

Celebrating Grandparents Day in Books

     "In 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a federal proclamation, declaring the first Sunday after Labor Day as National Grandparents Day. This day has been celebrated every year since in honor of our nation's grandparents," according to the US Census Bureau. In honor of Grandparents' Day, Sonya Sorich wrote an article for Ledger-Enquirer, citing five interesting facts about grandparents.  Read the full article, including the official song of Grandparents' Day!

The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp

     I thought I'd honor grandparents by listing some of my favorite books that feature these special people.  I recently finished listening to the audio version of The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi Appelt, narrated by Lyle Lovett.  Yesterday I tweeted, "Don't miss this one, folks!"  I mean it!  Don't miss it!  I want to read the book, too, but listening to it was such a treat.  Lyle's voice just made the story so charming, laugh-out-loud funny, and poignant.  One of my favorite lines was "Joy. Yes. Joy. In that very moment of Chaparral Brayburn's young life, the name 'Grandpa' was another name for 'joy.'" (Thank you to Margie Myers-Culver, who helped me find that quote since I didn't have my book with me - she ALWAYS answers pleas for help about books on Twitter!)  His grandpa used to tell Chap: “Nosotros somos paisanos. We are fellow countrymen. We come from the same soil.”   The bond between the two was strong, and twelve-year-old Chap is trying to find his way in the world without his grandpa.  It got me thinking about all the books out there that focus on the grandparent relationship and all we can learn from them.  So, without further ado, here are my picks for books that show the impact grandparents make on our lives:



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Center of Everything
 
 
 
 
Same Sun Here
 
 
Becoming Naomi León
 
 
 
 
Kepler's Dream
 
 
Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
 
 
 
     Wow - I could keep going, but I thought I'd better stop there.  As I was listing these books (I have a "Grandparents" shelf on Goodreads), I thought these books would be great to read for our November theme topic, FAMILY.  What are YOUR favorite books that feature grandparents?
 
     On a personal note, my grandparents are all deceased, but they made an indelible impression on me.  They were loving, smart, and knew all my interests and passions.  They helped me define myself and supported me throughout my childhood, being some of my biggest fans.  They are very much missed, and I loved them dearly.  I'm grateful that my children's grandparents on both sides are healthy and active and that my kids are benefitting from their support, love, and prayers.  Thank you to all you grandparents out there who are imparting your wisdom, loving your families unconditionally, and making this world a better place.  Happy Grandparents Day!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Read Bigger than a Bread BoxThe Center of EverythingKepler's Dreammore here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/09/07/2677807/grandparents-day-2013-is-sept.html#storylink=cpy

1 comment: