Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 
 
This week I read:
 
 




Oooh, this one could definitely be a Caldecott contender. I love the illustrations and sepia tones with pops of blue and red, the creative text styles, word play, and the story of how the transcontinental railroad changed the country. I'm definitely buying Locomotive for my classroom library!
 
A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis

A Nation's Hope by Matt De La Pena, illustrated by Kadir Nelson

 
 
 
I'm sharing this with my book group who is reading The Mighty Miss Malone for our FEAR unit this month.  It's perfect for building background knowledge for the same event - the boxing match between Joe Louis and German Max Schmeling in 1938 - that Chrisopher Paul Curtis includes in his book. Beautiful, emotional, energetic illustrations by Kadir Nelson. It will help the group understand the impact of the event on the morale of America and how it impacted the coming together of two races against a common enemy. Interesting story structure to discuss, too.
 
What nonfiction did YOU read this week?
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment