Saturday, January 11, 2014

Celebration Saturday

Discover. Play. Build.

 I'm so happy that Ruth Ayres started a Celebrate Link-Up on her blog!!!  I will be joining the celebration every Saturday!!
 
It's time to celebrate the first full week in 2014!
 
1.  On Saturday night, we invited Libby's boyfriend's family over for dinner.  He is from a family of ten children!  We had a wonderful time when we spent an evening with them over the summer, so we looked forward to hosting them here.  They brought seven of their ten kids, and Ed made lots of chili - three different kinds!  We had a great time, and their kids are a lot of fun to be around.  His mom loves to read, and she homeschools, so she and I talked about read alouds that would appeal to various ages.  She also belongs to a book club, and she recommended a book I hadn't heard of before, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. When I looked up the author, Ann Voskamp, I was directed to her blog.  She's great - I became an instant fan and ordered her book right away.  Ann's blog post today is fantastic.  Don't miss it!
 
 
2.  At the risk of being judged, I have to admit that I am a long-time fan of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette."  I know, I know.  I once talked about it to a pastor at church, and I'm sure he was ready to blast it, but when I said we have lots of people over to watch it, he said, "Well, it's an act of fellowship."  Ha - YES!  It IS.  My neighbor comes and sometimes her college-aged daughter when she's home, two other best friends and their daughters, and my girls and their friends.  We sometimes do dinner or appetizers first, and then settle in to enjoy the drama and romance.  We've even said it has provided us with an opportunity to talk to our daughters about red flags, what NOT to do, and positive/negative aspects of dating and relationships.  Okay, maybe that's stretching it, but we try any way we can to make it a worthwhile activity.  :-)  It was a TWO-night premiere Sunday and Monday, so of course, we got together twice.  Yes, I see some of you rolling your eyes and shaking your heads.  It's okay.  I still love it.  Happy Juan-uary. Ha.
 
3.  It was even better that both nights the "Bachelor" was on, we were surprised with two more snow days!!  I used those days to finally do the grading I had put off and read some more.
 
4.  On Wednesday, when we finally went back to school, I had so much fun seeing my students.  I had really missed them, and they were so enthusiastic to be back (most of them ;-)).  It was great to hear about what they did over break, the books they read, and the trips they made.  I have one student who has been gone since the week before break and won't be back until Monday because he made a family trip to India!  I can't wait to hear about that!
 
5.  I found out I won two books through blogging giveaways this week.  I already received one, and I love it!  The other is on its way.  Thanks, Stacey Shubitz and Caroline Starr Rose!
 
 
 
6.  This week I've been hard at work with a couple friends trying to figure out a proposal for NCTE 2014.  I think one has finally come together.  We still need to write and submit it, but it's something to celebrate regardless of whether or not it will be accepted.  If it is, I'll be celebrating A LOT in May and telling you the details!
 
7.  My daughter, Libby, started a new blog this week, based on her OLW, FEARLESS.  Check it out! http://fearlesspossibilities.wordpress.com/  It's been great having her home during her break!
 
 
8.  Even though I didn't commit to Donalyn Miller's #bookaday challenge over break (after all, I'm floundering with my #nerdlution goals), I ended up 23 books in 16 days!  Of course, many of them were picture books, but I'm still happy to have read that much.  I'm already ahead on my Goodreads goal. Of course, I did that on purpose because now I'm reading The Goldfinch for my book club, and it is a HUGE book - 784 pages!  I knew I had to frontload!
 
Stopping now to read other celebrations!  Have a WONDERFUL week, and CELEBRATE it!
 

17 comments:

  1. I love any moment when someone recommends a book that you immediately need to read! Good luck to your daughter with her new blog. Blogging is great way to find and/or create community. I won tickets to a basketball game recently and I get to watch it tonight so I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the basketball game! How fun. :-)

      Delete
  2. There is joy in your clebrations. A book is a great prize to win. Two books... and then a challenge and recommendations. Happy reading! Blog based on OLW - neat idea. Happy writing to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terje! Books are the best prize, aren't they?!

      Delete
  3. So glad you won What The Heart Knows-I've found it just wonderful, Holly. You are free to watch & like any show you want. Don't be embarrassed. I have a few I watch, mesmerized, so I imagine many others do too. Glad you had such a nice time going back. Your student returning from family in India will have much to share! Best wishes on your presentation submission-hope it gets in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your t.v. support. ;-) And thank you for your wishes on the proposal. We'll see! I thoroughly enjoyed What The Heart Knows. I finished it this evening. Wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Ann's book made a huge impact on my life. And she's such a beautiful human being -- so quick to show her own need of grace. I'd love to discuss her book with you once you're done! And THE GOLDFINCH. Tell me what you think. I'm a huge SECRET HISTORY FAN, but haven't opened this one yet.

    Your book will join you shortly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you're an Ann Voskamp reader. I'd love to discuss her book with you when I'm done. I'll be in touch. ;-) Can't wait to receive the May B. paperback. The Goldfinch is wonderful so far. Such good writing!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Ann's book and website. I go there sometimes just to listen to the music. She was responsible for my one little word finding me last year and this year.

    You can read about it here: http://adayinthelifeof19b.blogspot.com/2013/12/2014-one-little-word-reach.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that post! I even commented on it. ;-) I just didn't make the Ann Voskamp connection at the time. It's funny how connections come together like that. Wonderful!

      Delete
  6. We can't wait to read One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. Thank you so much. I think it will work well with my OLW - Time.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ann Voskamp title seems like something you both would enjoy!

      Delete
  7. So many things to celebrate. I stopped by your daughter's blog and made a comment. What a great writer she is, she must get it from her mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for supporting her, Gigi! She IS a great writer - how sweet to credit that to me, but she's a WAY better writer than I. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Winning books! That would make my day (or week) anytime! "One Thousand Gifts" sounds very interesting. I might have to check that out at our library!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly,
    I became acquainted with Ann's website through LeighAnne and I love it too. And then a dear friend gave me ONE THOUSAND GIFTS for Christmas and it's wonderful. Today, after church, I want to go find a notebook or journal of some kind to start my 1000 gifts journal. I even wrote about it in my CELEBRATION this week!

    P.S. I don't watch THE BACHELOR, but I do make time for BIGGEST LOSER every week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list of celebrations. Thanks Holly. I, too, am a fan of Ann Voskamp's blog. I have her new book just waiting for me. It's about Christmas and I'm excited to read it after the season. I'm hopping over to Libby's new blog now. What a great title!
    Shine on,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete