I'm so happy that Ruth Ayres started a Celebrate Link-Up on her blog!!! I will be joining the celebration every Saturday!!
It's time to celebrate the first full week in 2014!
1. On Saturday night, we invited Libby's boyfriend's family over for dinner. He is from a family of ten children! We had a wonderful time when we spent an evening with them over the summer, so we looked forward to hosting them here. They brought seven of their ten kids, and Ed made lots of chili - three different kinds! We had a great time, and their kids are a lot of fun to be around. His mom loves to read, and she homeschools, so she and I talked about read alouds that would appeal to various ages. She also belongs to a book club, and she recommended a book I hadn't heard of before, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. When I looked up the author, Ann Voskamp, I was directed to her blog. She's great - I became an instant fan and ordered her book right away. Ann's blog post today is fantastic. Don't miss it!
2. At the risk of being judged, I have to admit that I am a long-time fan of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette." I know, I know. I once talked about it to a pastor at church, and I'm sure he was ready to blast it, but when I said we have lots of people over to watch it, he said, "Well, it's an act of fellowship." Ha - YES! It IS. My neighbor comes and sometimes her college-aged daughter when she's home, two other best friends and their daughters, and my girls and their friends. We sometimes do dinner or appetizers first, and then settle in to enjoy the drama and romance. We've even said it has provided us with an opportunity to talk to our daughters about red flags, what NOT to do, and positive/negative aspects of dating and relationships. Okay, maybe that's stretching it, but we try any way we can to make it a worthwhile activity. :-) It was a TWO-night premiere Sunday and Monday, so of course, we got together twice. Yes, I see some of you rolling your eyes and shaking your heads. It's okay. I still love it. Happy Juan-uary. Ha.
3. It was even better that both nights the "Bachelor" was on, we were surprised with two more snow days!! I used those days to finally do the grading I had put off and read some more.
4. On Wednesday, when we finally went back to school, I had so much fun seeing my students. I had really missed them, and they were so enthusiastic to be back (most of them ;-)). It was great to hear about what they did over break, the books they read, and the trips they made. I have one student who has been gone since the week before break and won't be back until Monday because he made a family trip to India! I can't wait to hear about that!
5. I found out I won two books through blogging giveaways this week. I already received one, and I love it! The other is on its way. Thanks, Stacey Shubitz and Caroline Starr Rose!
6. This week I've been hard at work with a couple friends trying to figure out a proposal for NCTE 2014. I think one has finally come together. We still need to write and submit it, but it's something to celebrate regardless of whether or not it will be accepted. If it is, I'll be celebrating A LOT in May and telling you the details!
7. My daughter, Libby, started a new blog this week, based on her OLW, FEARLESS. Check it out! http://fearlesspossibilities.wordpress.com/ It's been great having her home during her break!
8. Even though I didn't commit to Donalyn Miller's #bookaday challenge over break (after all, I'm floundering with my #nerdlution goals), I ended up 23 books in 16 days! Of course, many of them were picture books, but I'm still happy to have read that much. I'm already ahead on my Goodreads goal. Of course, I did that on purpose because now I'm reading The Goldfinch for my book club, and it is a HUGE book - 784 pages! I knew I had to frontload!
Stopping now to read other celebrations! Have a WONDERFUL week, and CELEBRATE it!