Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunshine Award!

It is appropriate to be writing this Sunshine Blog Post on a cold, but brilliantly sunny day!  Thank you, Adrienne Gear, at readingpowergear, for nominating me for the Sunshine Award!  I love getting to know other bloggers better, so I think this is a great idea.



Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
 Share 11 random facts about yourself.
 Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
 List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
 Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

My 11 Random Facts:
1.  Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  Most days I eat oatmeal with walnuts and fruit.
2.  My perfect schedule would be to go to bed at midnight and get up at 9 am.
3.  My favorite exercise is walking.  I like to bring along my dog.
4.  I serve on the Adult Education Committee at my church. 
5.  I met my husband when we were residence assistants in the same hall at Miami University.  We're what Miami calls "Miami Mergers," and we get a Valentine's Day card from them every year.
6.  I don't like to watch movies more than once except these: Dirty Dancing, How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days, Good Will Hunting, and Diehard.  A weird mix, I know.
7.  I had a goat named Nibbles when I was a kid who ate his own blue ribbon at the fair.
8.  I love audio books and reading aloud.
9.  Throughout my childhood and into my teenage years, I wanted to be a veterinarian.  I worked for a veterinarian in college.
10.  My first job was selling my chickens' eggs to neighbors and teachers.  My second job was an usherette for the live shows at Kings Island.
11.  If I wasn't already doing my dream job (which obviously isn't a veterinarian, but a 5th/6th grade gifted ELA teacher - interesting how dreams evolve), I would love to own a book store if it was economically a good idea.  I LOVE book stores!!

Here are my 11 questions from Adrienne:
1.  What movie have you recently seen that you really enjoyed?  Catching Fire.  I thought Jennifer Lawrence's expression at the end was amazing.
2.  Who is the author you would most like to have coffee with?  E. B. White
3,  What was the name of your favorite childhood toy? (or pet?)  My favorite childhood dogs were Sugar and Lady.
4.  Best way to spend a Saturday morning?  Sleeping in, staying in pjs to read, taking a walk, and reading and writing blogs posts.
5.  What song reminds you of your high school days ?  Purple Rain
6.  What city would you most like to visit?  Any city in Italy.
7.  Last time you laughed out loud was…?  I laugh a lot!  Lately I'm laughing every time Maggie Smith is in a scene in Downton Abbey. I'm late on this bandwagon and am catching up by watching episodes on Amazon.  She is a brilliant actress.  My friends make me laugh.  My students make me laugh.  My dog makes me laugh.  The book I just finished made me laugh (Relish by Lucy Knisley).  My husband and daughters make me laugh.  John Green videos make me laugh.  Again, I laugh a lot - I'm lucky!
8.  Household appliance you could not live without?  Coffee maker
9.  Colleague you admire the most and why?  Oh wow.  This is hard!  I admire a lot of colleagues!  I admire any educator who shows a passion for what they do and treats children and other colleagues with respect and kindness.
10.  Favorite season and why?  I love all the seasons for various reasons, but my favorite is probably fall because I love the temperatures, the colors, and all the activities associated with it.
11.  Finish this sentence:  I am most proud of my family.

My questions for my nominees:

1.  What made you decide to start blogging?
2.  What energizes you?
3.  Things you are afraid of?
4.  Something/someone that inspires you?
5.  If you had to do a TED Talk, what would it be about?  In other words, what do you want to talk about?  Or what are you an expert on?
6.  Your perfect day?
7.  One precious memory?
8.  Something on your bucket list or a dream you want to accomplish?
9.  Favorite restaurant and why?
10.  Personality trait or talent you wish you had?
11.  What is something valuable or important you've learned lately?

My nominees.  Drum roll please...(If you've already been nominated by someone else, congrats, and you obviously don't have to redo it!  Even if you haven't been nominated, you also don't have to do it if you don't want to. ;-)) 

1.  Libby Mueller, my daughter, at Fearless Possibilities
2.  Megan Ginther at Adventures in Learning
3.  Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
4.  Gigi McAllister at The Late Bloomer's Book Blog
5.  Leigh Anne at A Day in the Life
6.  Carol at Carol's Corner
7.  David Etkin at Eat the Book
8.  Valerie Stein at The Best of It
9.  Jen Vincent at Teach Mentor Texts
10.  Niki Ohs Barnes at Daydream Reader
11.  Cathy Mere at Reflect & Refine

I look forward to hearing more about each of you, and sharing the sunshine!

3 comments:

  1. Holly - thanks so much for participating in this and for sharing a little bit more of yourself with us! I enjoy reading your blog very much and find it most inspirational! Lots of connections reading your random facts - I, too, love Good Will Hunting - as well as Dead Poets Society (both with Robin Williams!) I enjoyed hearing about your childhood goat and your first job selling chicken eggs! Purple Rain - Ha! We must be about the same age! Florence is my favorite city in the world (that I've visited so far!) and I also love to laugh! I am looking forward to visiting your nominees' blogs! What a great way to get to know a few more blogs! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you grew up on a farm, Holly-what fun. I loved visiting grandparents and aunts and uncles on their farms! It seems you love so many things that I imagine you are a wonderful teacher, with loads to share with students! Thank you so much for my award. I have been showered with sunshine more than once, and posted last week, but still, thanks again! Have a terrific next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks fun! It might take me a couple of weeks, but I'll get it done (in between some other important writing I'm doing right now!). :) Thanks for the nomination!

    ReplyDelete