Saturday, February 1, 2014

Celebration Saturday

Discover. Play. Build.

 I'm so happy that Ruth Ayres started a Celebrate Link-Up on her blog!!!  I will be joining the celebration every Saturday!!
 
I'm going to celebrate in videos this week.
 
1.  The 2014 ALA Youth Media Awards were amazing, and I celebrate how excited my students get! I try not to talk or react while I'm recording, but I can't help it.  Congratulations to all the winners.  The committees chose such quality books, and we thank you for all the time dedicated to choosing just the right ones.  Now I'm reading/buying/putting on hold at the library all the ones I haven't read yet!
 
 
 
 
2.  Have you seen this Super Bowl ad yet?  It's so darn cute!  Budweiser knows how to pull at our heart strings!
 
 
3.  This Funniest Home Video makes me laugh every time I watch it.  I celebrate that funny cat (and the mailman with a sense of humor)!
 
 
4.  And because I can't stay away from celebrating the award winners this week:
 
 
 

 
 


 

 
To further celebrate these books, I'm going to Las Vegas in June!!! Woohoo!!

Also, I LOVED that my class and I were mentioned on Mr. Schu's Watch.Connect.Read. Caldecott post because of a video Aaron Becker made for my class in the fall!


Aaron Becker answers a fifth grade teachers' classes questions about "Journey" from Aaron Becker on Vimeo.
 
5.  Ann Voskamp has a Saturday celebration of sorts on her blog, A Holy Experience, every Saturday called "Only the Good Stuff."  It's wonderful!  This video was featured there today:
 
 
Off to read about what everyone else is celebrating.  Focus on the positive this week!

20 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love the format of celebrating in videos. Thank you for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrating with videos- clever and entertaining. Wishing you a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the ad with the Barnes twins. So powerful. Made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids are so excited about the picture book winners! Loved watching these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so funny - my iPhone ran out of recording room before I could get the whole thing on video. They were enthusiastic about every one of the winners! :-)

      Delete
  5. I loved every bit, Holly, & have spent the recent half hour watching! Loved hearing the kids' excitement, the authors' voices, and seeing that sweet puppy-makes want to rush right out for a Guiness! And the final piece-why censored? Alcohol, or ? Interesting to see! Glad you're going to get to Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! The last one was banned because of something to do with the advertiser not being an official sponsor of the Olympics or something. Not quite sure. Cindy Minnich found out more about the twins here: http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/10310931/espnw-tracy-lanny-barnes-lockstep-even-olympic-switch

      Delete
  6. What fun I have just had watching ALL of these clips! My son and I have watched the Budweiser commercial about 6 times already! Adorable! I will definitely be showing him the angry cat clip! Thanks for including all the award announcement clips - it was great to see it through the eyes of your class and your camera lens. Thanks, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the Budweiser commercial during the Super Bowl tonight! :-)

      Delete
  7. Holly, I always appreciate the videos you put in your blog. I often share them with my fourth graders. Good luck in getting all those books read and don't buy too many...you need to save your money for Vegas. :) I have quite a few on hold at the library too and I'm going to read Flora as my next read aloud. I can't wait to share this amazing book with my kiddos. Have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you show them to your 4th graders! Flora is awesome! (Both of them. ;-))

      Delete
  8. Started watching the videos earlier today and never commented. It was fun to watch your kids excitement over the Newbery and Caldecott winners. Now it's time for me to head to be with a stack of picture books. Can't wait to explore these winners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love this format for your celebrate -- a new text structure for us to try!
    Thanks
    Clare and Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like thinking of it as a structure/format. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Ann Voskamp is one of my favorite writers!

    ReplyDelete