Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nonfiction Wednesday

I'm excited that Alyson Beecher, at Kid Lit Frenzy, is continuing her Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge for the third year in a row.
 
 
 
Water Can Be...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Read the archives of the #SharpSchu Book Club Twitter chat over Salas's books.
 
I loved A Leaf Can Be..., so I was excited when this new book came out.  It's so simple, yet so beautiful. Gorgeous illustrations accompany descriptions of water. Favorites: "Valley cloaker," "Rainbow jeweler," "Eagle flyway." Great information in the back.  I'll be sharing this book with my class as a mentor text for creative nonfiction.
 
Grandfather Gandhi
 
 
 
 
 
I read this from the library, but I'll be purchasing my own copy. I don't think my students know much about Gandhi.   Kids need to hear this story and think about its significance. Even though Gandhi is an historical figure, his message is timely: "Arun, we can all work to use our anger, instead of letting it use us." He taught his grandson that peace is not the absence of anger, it is the illumination of it. "It can turn darkness into light." Turk's illustrations are stunning - they capture the deep spirituality, power, and emotions that Gandhi embodied. I venture to say we'd all feel like Arun did in his presence - inadequate and restless; however, Gandhi speaks to all of us. We're human, and anger is a part of our existence. It's what we do with it that counts. Use it to correct what's wrong in the world instead of succumbing to its darkness.
 
What nonfiction have YOU read this week?
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Holly! Yes, we were on the same page today :) I just love this book. I cannot stop pouring over the illustrations. I used this book with 4th grade and kg already! I brought and left the book at home last night, so I can't reference it, but I loved the bruise shrinker (I think that's what she said??) part!! I was thinking of you as I wrote the post last night because I know you follow some water charities, right? Also, did you know there was an Alex and Ani bracelet for water??? It's called the Living Water charm! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Holly, I thought I have Grandfather Gandhi, apparently I have a different title that I managed to snag from the library. Will find this one this weekend. Water Can Be looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandfather Gandhi is a title I want as well - I haven't even read it yet but have strong feelings that I will love it. Lovely to hear that you will be purchasing your own copy - lets me know my instincts are correct.

    ReplyDelete