Saturday, August 16, 2014

Celebration Saturday

Discover. Play. Build.


 I'm so happy that Ruth Ayres started a Celebrate Link-Up on her blog!!!  I will be joining the celebration every Saturday!!

It's been several weeks since I participated in Celebration Saturday because of travels.  I missed it - I'm glad to be back!

    1.  I was a part of a mission team from Lebanon Presbyterian Church (thank you, LPC, for all your support) who went to Czech Republic to teach English at a family camp.  We ended the week in Prague for sight-seeing.  I recapped what I learned and loved about the experience in this post.  I also made this video to share:


     2. This week, I set up my classroom and attended our in-service day on Friday.  I can't believe it's time for school to start!  I was excited to see a letter from Water for South Sudan, Inc. in my mailbox from over the summer.  In it was an official letter stating where our sponsored well was built, and these wonderful pictures.  We're so excited to lead another #ReadWalkWater project this year.  All our 6th graders will be reading A Long Walk to Water, and we'll culminate a fundraising event with our walk on November 7th.  So exciting!





     3. Libby came home this weekend after finishing up a great experience interning with Smucker's.  She learned a lot, and she's ready for her senior year at Miami University!  

Good luck to all you teachers and students out there celebrating another start to a new school year!




21 comments:

  1. Holly, The picture of the Sudanese people holding the banner brought tears to my eyes. I'd love to know more about your project. I'm wondering if I can do it this year with my sixth graders. You ALWAYS inspire me. Thanks for your positive attitude and generous spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Last year, David Etkin and I worked on the project together online. We posted a Nerdy Book Club post and tried to rally as many people as possible to have their own walks and fundraisers. He's in Uganda helping to build a well this summer! We plan on collaborating again and trying to get more people to join us with their own schools and students. We will definitely include you in any of our efforts!!

      Delete
    2. OK. I just bought the book (haven't read it yet) and found the Nerdy Book Club post. This sounds great!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What great and important celebrations! Welcome back! I can't wait to hear more about your Water project this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele - We're excited to make it even bigger this year!

      Delete
  3. Great Animoto video. I think it will be a while before you come down off your high from your mission trip. I can feel the love and excitement in all your posts.
    Good luck with the start of school. My students begin coming to me this week. After a week of preparation time, I am ready. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret - you're right! It's hard to come down off a mission trip high. :-) Good luck to you, too!! Can't wait to read about all the wonderful things you're going to do in your classroom. :-)

      Delete
  4. There is one teacher at school whose class theme this year is water. I'll share your post with her, Holly. Such a great thing that your whole school does this. I loved hearing all about your trip to the Czech Republic, something you won't ever forget. And best wishes to your daughter in her final year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing with her! Maybe she'd want to join us in our efforts this year!?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the Water for South Sudan Project, Holly. This would be perfect for our sixth graders, too. What a summer you have had - great travels and great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sixth graders would love it! David Etkin and I will be rallying participants again this year. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. My fifth graders read A Long Walk to Water last year, and I would love to work in the Water for South Sudan Project to it. Thanks for the link! Will your students blog about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julieanne - I've gotten all of them on Kidblog this year, so I hope they blog about it! We would love for you to join us in the #ReadWalkWater efforts! Stay tuned for more info soon!

      Delete
  7. Holly, your video flowed like a gentle stream seeking its outlet. There was such a joyous feeling to the piece - a wordless book that is inviting.

    Interesting project associated with A Long Walk to Water (that is the NYS book for the 7th grade Curriculum Module)

    May your school days be filled with as much joy as your summer months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - Thank you for your description of the video. :-) I didn't know that ALWTW was the NYS book for 7th grade! We'd love for them to all join in in our water awareness efforts!

      Delete
  8. Holly - I was SO impressed with your video! Wow! The photos look amazing - the color of the water was like a jewel! I have enjoyed reading your posts about the trip and now can really see some of your descriptions come to life. I have been using A Long Walk to Water as part of a grade 7 Literature circle theme based on children in poverty and slavery. It is always the book that brings up such rich discussion and the ending evokes the most gasps! I love your project and can't wait to read more about it. As always, an inspiring post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How incredible to go on a mission trip!
    EnJOYed reading your celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And how wonderful to sponsor a well! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing post! So much Joy! Best of luck to you as you start this school year!

    ReplyDelete