Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Nonfiction Wednesday

 
I'm excited that Alyson Beecher, at Kid Lit Frenzy, is continuing her Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge for the third year in a row.
 
Today is all about libraries!
 
The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
 

This is a remarkable story of Alia Muhammad Baker who was the librarian in Basra, Iraq when it was invaded in April, 2003. She was determined to save the books in her library. The governor wouldn't help her, so she took the rescue mission into her own hands. With the aid of friends and neighbors, she hid 70% of the books before the library burned down.

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library

Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library by Barb Rosenstock, Illustrated by John O'Brien
 
 
 

This book was especially enjoyable to read since I bought it in the Library of Congress book store after seeing Jefferson's collection! I love the story of Jefferson's obsession with books and reading and the legacy he left to the Library of Congress. And who wouldn't want a table that revolves so that you could read several books at once?! I enjoyed O'Brien's lively illustrations, also.

What nonfiction did you enjoy this week?
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I've read both of these books, Holly, & they are wonderful. It would be fun to make a collection of books about libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great theme. I have read the first, but not the second. Now I am thinking of other books that would fit in this theme . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the Thomas Jefferson book and I do enjoy Barb Rosenstock's other books! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for library love! I've read and enjoyed these books.

    ReplyDelete