I love linking up to a wonderful celebratory community, inspired by Ruth Ayres, every Saturday!
It's been three weeks since I posted a Celebration Saturday - how did that happen?!
1. We took a break from dreary January and visited Mom and Dad in Florida. We soaked up the sunshine and Mom and Dad's company! It was an extra bonus to get a visit from Ed's mom and dad, too, who live just two hours up the road from my parents. It's so nice to see Mom and Dad happy in their new digs.
Selfie with Mom and Dad!
Sigh - this was a sight for sore January eyes!
Ed's mom and dad - they brought a fun new game with them.
Cheers to sunny Florida!
Sandhill Crane Crossing!
2. Tuesday night a colleague, Tracy Kleis, and I gave a #ReadWalkWater presentation to the Kings Board of Education. We were so proud to celebrate our sixth graders' generosity. We've raised almost $15,000 - enough to build a well in South Sudan. One board member even gave us a donation! Our sixth graders were also written up in a wonderful article in the local newspaper.
3. I'm enjoying a Wednesday night Bible class at my church on the Gospel of Mark and learning lots of new things.
4. I enjoyed a visit and dinner with Libby Thursday evening. She's back safe and sound from her amazing trip to South America with her uncle T.J. This is my favorite picture from her adventures:
5. A couple celebrations from earlier in the month include Jamie (Libby's fiancé) and I choosing the reception dinner items. It was just the two of us because everyone else was busy or out of town. We had a great time at the wonderful event. We got to see the reception room that will be the same one we reserved for their wedding all decked out in wedding attire, and it was beautiful. The food was delish, the service top-notch, and we agreed on all our favorites. I'm so lucky I am going to have a wonderful son-in-law!
6. Another celebration from the past month was Ed's company holiday party. We decided to have it January this year, which was really nice. We always have a great time when we get together with people from his company. This year we extended it in order to show some friends around our historic town of Lebanon.
7. It was exciting to learn that three conference proposals for February have been accepted. I will be presenting at Dublin Literacy, OCTELA, and OMLA. I've also submitted an NCTE proposal with Megan Ginther and was asked to be on a panel of another. Fingers crossed!
8. I sure was a proud Ohio State mom this month! How exciting was that game?! I was sad to say goodbye to Katie when she had to go back to school. Winter break was so nice!
9. I'm REALLY enjoying being a Round 2 Cybils' Judge!! The books on the Middle Grade Fiction list have been fantastic! We're starting our Google chats now and will be announcing winners in February. I can't wait to see what we decide on!
10. My students have been great in January. I can see that all the hard work of the first semester has really paid off - the writing they are producing and the amount and quality of things they're reading have been excellent. I've also enjoyed some wonderful words of affirmation from parents and students lately, and that makes my job even better!
Whew! I think I'm all caught up on celebrating now!