Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Slice of Life - My Dad Has a Country Heart


I love participating in Slice of Life, started by Two Writing Teachers and writing a story, reflection, or musing at least once a week.
 
A couple weeks ago, I wrote about using the mentor text, My Mama Had a Dancing Heart, in my classroom.  I wrote my own as my students tried out the form.  However, I only got as far as spring at first.  This week, I'm sharing the rest with you.   
 
My Dad Has a Country Heart
 
 
And in summer
the sunlight
dapple-dotted the pond,
and the once fuzzball ducklings
grew to be
sleek and white,
cruising silently through the water,
leaving rippled Vs
behind them.
 
We'd ride bareback
bounce-jouncing to the rhythm
of "Splish-splash
I was taking a bath
long about a Saturday night..."
Dad's strong sinewy arms
wrapped around me,
holding the reins.
 
And in fall
when the tree-line turned
from green to gold
and hay bales
were ready to be thrown-stacked
into the musty barn,
 
We'd gather the dogs,
put our boots
and camouflage on,
and sleep-step into
the truck.
Sugar, our English Setter
would whine-tremble in her spot
on the truck bed floor,
ready to go pheasant hunting
on Thanksgiving morning.
 
And in winter
the snow piled up high,
drifting against the skeletons
of hedge bushes,
the coats of the horses
thick with fur,
 
We'd head out
early in the morning
to feed the animals,
knocking ice out of water buckets,
our breath curl-steaming
in the icy air.
On the way inside,
we'd pile firewood
into leather carriers,
anxious to feel the warmth
of the stove.
 
Today, my dad still
smiles his James Dean smile
and has strong hands and lanky legs,
and we love to reminisce
about my growing up days,
our horseback-riding,
hay-stacking,
firewood-cutting,
bird-hunting,
duck-raising,
country days.
 
My dad has a country heartand he shared that heart with me.
 
 
 
 
 

 









 

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I love how the rhythm and how much you love your father in these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your poems. I feel like I know so much about your family that if we met, we'd be fast friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful piece...captures so much about your dad and the country life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete