Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Nonfiction Wednesday



nfpb2016logo

I'm excited that Alyson Beecher, at Kid Lit Frenzy, is continuing her Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge for the fifth year in a row.

It's been FOREVER since I posted a Nonfiction Wednesday post, but I'm back on it!  Here are some recent favorites:

Granddaddy's Turn: A Journey to the Ballot Box

Granddaddy's Turn: A Journey to the Ballot Box by Michael S. Bandy and Eric Stein, illustrated by James E. Ransome


This is a touching story about a grandfather who wasn't able to exercise his right to vote because of a deputy stopping him before he got a chance. His grandson never forgot that day and voted with his granddaddy's picture in his hand on the day he voted for the first time. This would be a good pairing with Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom by Lynda Blackmon Lowery.

Welcome to the Neighborwood



2016-bookanimalsmock-sibert-2017naturepicture-bookpop-up-bookread,science



Wow! These pop-up illustrations are incredible. I found myself smiling in amazement and delight as I opened each page. Sheehy teaches us about animals that survive by building homes, traps, or structures for their survival. The book also shows how these animals need each other - nature is so fascinating! Great facts and word play accompany the beautiful artwork - would make a great addition to the classroom library and/or a gift. I can imagine that any child would want to open this book again and again. I know I do!


The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation on Trial

The First Step: How One Girl Put Segregation On Trial by Susan E. Goodman, illustrated by E.B. Lewis

2016-bookafrican-americancivil-rightsmock-sibert-2017nonfictionnonfiction-challenge-2016picture-bookreadsegregationsocial-injusticesocial-studies-connectionsweneeddiversebooks

I'm glad Susan E. Goodman chose to tell this story of a courageous young girl and her family who fought against school segregation in the 1840s. She lost that case, but her cause continued, and Boston became the first major American city to officially integrate its schools in 1855. It's sad that a hundred years later, it had to be fought for again. In many ways, segregation still continues. "The march toward justice is a long, twisting journey. Three steps forward, one step back. One step forward, three back. Laws change, and the march moves forward. People resist change, and the march slows to a standstill, waiting for a better time. Then, at last, ideas have changed enough and people have changed enough. Finally the march cannot be stopped." E.B. Lewis expertly paints beautiful and emotionally-charged illustrations throughout this important picture book. Excellent resources in the back - a timeline, update on the heroes of the book, sources and resources, and an Author's Note.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Granddaddy's turn, a special story. Welcome To The Neighborhood looks great, Holly, as does First Step, both new to me. Thanks, and happy to see you sharing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Neighborhood looks just incredible. I can imagine this would be hugely popular in the classroom! All of the titles here look fantastic. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of sharing beautiful, highly-detailed pop up books like Welcome to the Neighborhood with older children - why should little ones get all the fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that The First Step chronicles a failed attempt to claim civil rights but does so joyfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be reading First Step soon, so I look forward to that. I love White's illustrations. Granddaddy's Turn looks like one that will definitely make me cry!

    ReplyDelete