Sunday, October 26, 2014

DigiLit Sunday




      I love that Margaret Simon has started a Sunday Link Up for posts about digital literacy at her blog to challenge us to share our technology journeys. 
 
     In a previous post, I shared an idea for a project with you involving student-made Public Service announcements for our Social Injustice unit using WeVideo.  Whew!  What a project it was.  It was quite the learning curve, and at times, we all got frustrated.  However, we did it, and I was proud of my students!  A couple students discovered and used PowToon, which was a pretty neat site, also.  If I had to do it all over again (and I will - it was valuable enough to do again in the future), I would have them research and make PSAs over current topics.  I had them read about historical social injustices and do the PSAs as if the historical event was happening now.  I don't think that was particularly effective - at least, not as effective as it could have been.  However, they still learned how to experiment with new technology, how to effectively use persuasive techniques, and how to discern persuasive techniques when they are used on them.  Take a look at a student's PowToon PSA  about segregation.  She read Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
 
Freedom Walkers
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Amazing work, Holly. I am sure this took a great deal of time and patience to complete this project but it is worthy of audience viewing. I am in awe of the amount of tools out there to still explore. I guess it is all part of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    I am so excited to see the results of your adventurous project. I love the PowToon and how the students make a strong argument for change. I think it is even pertinent to today. WeVideo is blocked at our school. I'll try PowToon. Kudos to your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that it all worked out in the end even if it didn't go exactly as planned. It seems big projects like this often have hidden or surprising frustrations along the way. I typically learn as right along with the students as we work through those glitches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved what your student did with the message-very powerful, Holly. Sorry you thought it didn't work so well, but maybe this learning will cause some connections to today's injustices? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, the result is well worth the effort. The project is both exciting and thought provoking. It's nice to see that you are harnessing technology to create visual stories that touch a deeper cord and cultivate the student's awareness of universal, socially relevant topics. You mentioned that you encountered some frustrations along the way. Did the steepness of the learning curve have to do with the video tool itself or other extrinsic factors or some combination of both? You insights are very much appreciated.
    - Atanas from WeVideo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Corporate Video Production Company in Bangalore and top Explainer Video Company in Bangalore , 3d, 2d Animation Video Makers in Chennai.
    Awesome blog !! Thnq so much for this information and This is really helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete