Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Spiritual Journey Thursday - DIVE


     I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly theme topic.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
For the next month and a half, we are writing about the Spiritual Journey Thursday community's One Little Words.  We'd love for you to join us!  If you have a OLW and would like us all to write about it, let me know in the comments below or on Twitter (@muellerholly), and I will add you to our calendar.
This week we are writing about Greg Armamentos's word, DIVE. 
Greg's word is actually an acronym for  Dwell  Ignite  Venture  Embody. 
     Wednesday was the first day of Lent.  Christians' eyes are turned toward the death of Jesus on the cross and His miraculous resurrection three days later.  We are reminded at how great our faith must be to believe this amazing, unbelievable story.  We must DIVE into what can only be called irrationality and suspension of earthly beliefs - that death isn't the end.  That the dead can rise.  That to believe in Jesus means that life can't be extinguished.  That our lives here on Earth are only the beginning.  That we will live forever in the place that God made for us.  The resurrection also means that life can be lived fully and hopefully right now. Do we really believe what we believe?! 
     "Then the disciple Jesus loved said to Peter, 'It's the Master!' When Simon Peter realized that it was the Master, he threw on some clothes, for he was stripped for work, and dove into the sea." -  John 21: 7 
     I love this reaction to Peter realizing the man on the shore was the risen Jesus.  He left the boat, the miraculous amount of fish they just caught, and the other disciples to reach Jesus quickly.  Do we do this?  Do we dive with enthusiasm, devotion, and urgency into a life and relationship with God?  I would love to envision myself diving out of bed each morning, eager to get on with God's purpose, guidance, and discipline in my life.  DIVING into each day with that kind of passion. To dwell in his presence and Word, ignite the flame of evangelism and faith, venture outside my safety zone, and embody the joy only He can give. DIVE into LIFE!


We've almost reached the end of our OLW explorations.  That makes me sad!
FEBRUARY 26th: Ramona Behnke's OLW, STRETCH
And just added (yay!)...
MARCH 5th: Libby Mueller's OLW, ADVENTURE
MARCH 12th: Jaana's OLW, DISCOVER
MARCH 19th: Teresa Winterstein's OLW, BRAVE

Let me know if you'd like for us to write about YOUR OLW in 2015, and I'll add you to the schedule. 

10 comments:

  1. What you say about diving out of bed each morning with passion is exactly my own personal challenge for Lent. I think Peter is my favorite disciple for so many reasons. It is sad that were are almost through with the OLW. Do you have any thoughts going forward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter, Libby, just committed to a week! Yay! I'm adding her to the schedule. After that, we can concentrate on Lent leading up to Easter. Then we'll see where God wants us to go and DIVE in! :-)

      Delete
  2. Holly, I, too,am sorry that we are nearing the end of OLW focus but we can turn our thoughts to devotion during Lent leading to the Risen Lord. How about one post on the word Rise? You mentioned the word rise. I have been thinking about it and Lent's devotionals will probably point us in that direction.

    I am particularly interested in the Bible story of Peter and how you worked it into your blog post. I read the passage to my son (whom I am trying to talk into blogging with us).

    Interesting that I also am using Steve Curtis Chapman's song, Dive, this week.

    Thank yo, Holly for your guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an powerful question: "Do we dive with enthusiasm, devotion, and urgency into a life and relationship with God?" My hope and wish for Lent is to take time for my relationship with God. I plan to meditate again. Centering prayer. A time set aside for just God and me.
    Thanks for hosting. I missed that the word DIVE was an acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, any good focus on the Word is a good thing, I think :) This was a refreshing post to read amidst the tons of book/writing/health-related stuff I'm constantly immersed in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you again for sharing . . . it's caused me to intentionally think about the words that God gives us to give us a deeper understanding of His expectations. The words bring me peace - just like your post. It's time to dive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I love how you shared Peter's passionate response to reach Jesus quickly and worked all of Greg's words into your post.. "DIVING into each day with that kind of passion. To dwell in his presence and Word, ignite the flame of evangelism and faith, venture outside my safety zone, and embody the joy only He can give. DIVE into LIFE!" You've got the passion too! Thanks for these inspiring words.

      Delete
  7. "I would love to envision myself diving out of bed each morning, eager to get on with God's purpose, guidance, and discipline in my life." This is something I am trying to discover new this year. Finding/discovering God's purpose. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

    Could you add me for March 12 for my OLW???

    ReplyDelete