Monday, September 19, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Thank you,  Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers, for giving us a space to share our reads each week!

PICTURE BOOKS

They All Saw a Cat Cover

They All Saw A Cat by Brendan Wenzel



And for all you Emily Arrow fans, there's a song!

Perfect to talk about perspective and point of view - great to pair with Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne. Beautiful and interesting illustrations! The kids were really excited to write their own perspective writing in their notebooks afterward. I got this from the library, but I'll be purchasing it for my classroom!                 

The Water Princess
The Water Princess by Susan Verde, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds


            
Who could resist the beautiful cover and title of this book based on model Georgie Badiel's childhood experiences in Burkina Faso. What touches me about this story is how the beginning - Gie Gie's descriptions of her beautiful African home and establishing her character as full of dreams and song - is juxtaposed with Gie Gie's arduous walk for water, not even knowing if the water will be clean. This juxtaposition is carried out throughout the book - even though Gie Gie and her mother wake in the dark hours of the morning to make the journey, after Gie Gie's initial grumbling, they are full of song, light steps, and dance. However, after the water collection, their feet are sore and thirsts are heavy. Gie Gie plays with her friends at the well, but when dipping her pot in the water, it is dusty and earth-colored. I love the depiction of her loving family. I think my students will see themselves in "Princess" Gie Gie and feel connected. Perfect book to accompany A Long Walk to Water in our Social Injustice unit. Peter Reynolds's illustrations are absolutely gorgeous.

MIDDLE GRADE

Ghosts

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier



My students have been WAITING for a new Raina Telgemeier book because they've read all her other graphic novels multiple times. They won't be disappointed. There are so many layers to this book, and I'll be interested in how they react to all of it - Dia de los Muertos, the afterlife, cystic fibrosis, fear and acceptance of death, sister issues, appreciating one's own culture and learning about others, etc. I want to have Duncan Tonatiuh's Funny Bones on hand for those kids who would like to know about the Day of the Dead.

Ms. Bixby's Last Day

Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson



Oh, what a wonderful story! Ms. Bixby is the kind of teacher, we who are in the profession, aspire to be. The kids are funny, real, and endearing, and you wouldn't think a book with cancer at the center could be full of adventure and fun, but it is. I look forward to passing this one around my room. We'll be talking about it at our September staff middle grade book club next Friday.

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO

The Key to Extraordinary

CURRENTLY READING

Dollbaby









5 comments:

  1. I finished up The Key to Extraordinary last week. It was a fabulous read! Ms Bixby is next up for me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books, Holly. I love They All Saw A Cat, had to buy it, but didn't know there was a song! So great. The Key To Extraordinary is on my list, and I loved Ms. Bixby-gorgeous story. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered They All Saw a Cat and have requested Ms. Bixby from the library. So many great titles! Thanks, as always for sharing the book trailers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved They All Saw a Cat, such a great way to start discussions on different perspectives. I didn't know there was a song - how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really looking forward to reading Ghosts.

    ReplyDelete