Monday, November 12, 2012

WONDER Parent/Student Book Club

I invited my students and their parents to a book club tonight over Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  Twenty-nine people came!  I had gotten seven copies of the book from the Cincinnati Public Library and many parents bought their own.  We also had two principals and our curriculum director read it with us.  I started by showing the YouTube video of R.J. Palacio reading the chapter "How I Came to Life."


I also showed the beginning of an interview with R.J. Palacio.

 
We broke up into two groups and discussed a list of questions I had put together - some from R.J. Palacio's websit  For Teachers and some I added.  I loved having parents chime in on the discussion, and I enjoyed extending the discussion with students that we had in our classes. 
 
Here are some pictures from the event:
 
 
Must have cookies at a book club!


 
Watching R.J. Palacio read "How I Came To Life"

 
The group!



 
Watching the interview
 

 
What a great night of readers and books!!
 
THANK YOU, R.J. Palacio, for writing such an amazing book!  CHOOSE KIND!

No comments:

Post a Comment