Friday, February 22, 2013

World Read Aloud Day Blogger Challenge #2


I'm participating in the World Read Aloud Blogger Challenge each week until the big day!




Here is this week's challenge:

1. I think everyone in the world should read...
When I was 10: Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books, Black Stallion series
Now: Adult book: A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Children's Books: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, Charlotte's Web by E.B. White,  Wonder by R.J. Palacio,Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit, and I could keep going!

2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...

When I was 10: I honestly don't remember being read to in 4th or 5th grade, but I loved listening to my 3rd grade teacher play guitar and sing to us!  I distinctly remember my 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Smith, reading aloud Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh and my high school English teacher, Mr. Uritis reading A Day No Pigs Would Die and E.B. White's essays.
Now: Lester Laminack and Silas House

3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is...
When I was 10: I didn't impersonate characters while reading aloud, but I played that I was Laura Ingalls Wilder and Nancy Drew in the woods in the back of our 7 acre plot.
Now: Every year I've gotten better about being less and less inhibited while reading aloud.  Right now I like impersonating Bob, Ruby, Ivan, and Stella in The One and Only Ivan.  It's also fun to impersonate Mean Jean in The Recess Queen

4. The genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is...
When I was 10 (to 12): No such thing as an e-reader when I was 10!  It would be fantasy (Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising Series, Wrinkle in Time), horse stories, and historical fiction (Little House on the Prairie books)
Now: Realistic and historical fiction - lots of Harry Potter books occupy our shelves in our house!

5. The last book I wish I’d written or inspired me to write my own story is...
When I was 10: The Black Stallion books - and I DID write a horse story when I was in 6th grade!
 Now: That's a tough one - there are so many I wish I had written, and I would love to write a book some day!  Picture book: City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems;  Children's Book: Harry Potter books; Professional Book: The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. There are so many, though, I'll probably change my mind tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment