Thursday, December 19, 2013

My 2014 Mock Newbery Club's Winning Book

     On Tuesday, my Mock Newbery Club met for the last time this calendar year to review, vote, and choose the books they want to win the 2014 Newbery Award.  Our club started meeting over the summer, and continued meeting throughout the fall after school.  We had SO much fun talking about books, answering literary questions (if you could live in any book world, which one would it be and  why), and trading books back and forth.  They kept reviews of each 2013 book they read in our Mock Newbery booklets (here are pictures of the previous year's booklets):



 
 
      After looking back at all the books they read, they voted for their top choice and a few runners-up.  I tallied the votes by assigning two points to every number one choice and one point to every runner up in order to get the big winner.  I'm always curious to see if they will pick books that many adults have highlighted over the year.  I revealed my top three on Tuesday's post (Every Day After by Laura Golden, Beholding Bee by Kimberly Newton Fusco, and Counting By 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan).  Are you ready for the winning book?  Drum roll please....

 
 
      Isn't that interesting and exciting???  It makes me want to read it again.  I LOVE hearing what students choose as their favorites.  Here are their choices for Honors:
 
   
 
     Other books mentioned as favorites:
 
   The Water Castle Doll Bones
 
 Paperboy The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp The Boy On The Porch

   
 
    
 
     Now we just have to wait to see what the Newbery committee decides!!  I can't wait!  Can you?!  In January, we're going to do a mini Mock Caldecott unit the week we get back from break, so I'm excited to see what picture books the kids like.  I love having the kids involved in choosing favorite year-end books.  If you held a Mock Newbery Club this year, what did your students choose as their favorites?
 
 

1 comment: