- As of today, I read 301 books (my goal was 300). This was 53 books above what I read last year. Before you think that's a lot of books, consider Colby Sharp, who read 1007!! This is the breakdown of what I read (as close as I can get since sometimes I forget to categorize something):
- 16 adult fiction titles (5%), 5 of which were audio. These are mostly books I read for my book club. It's a good thing I have to read adult titles for it! Favorites published in 2013:
- 34 young adult fiction titles (11%), 16 of which were audio. Favorites published in 2013:
Mock Newbery Club Favorite Read Aloud
- 16 middle grade and young adult nonfiction (5%). Favorite published in 2013:
- 83 fiction picture books (28%). Favorites published in 2013:
- 50 nonfiction picture books (17%). Favorites published in 2013:
- 17 graphic novels (6%). Favorites published in 2013:
- 23 poetry books/novels in verse (8%). Favorites published in 2013:
- 4 professional teaching books (1%). Favorite published in 2013:
When I compare my reading to last year, I love that I've increased my graphic novel and nonfiction reading, which were my reading gaps in 2012. Thanks to Alyson Beecher and her 2013 Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge, I met and exceeded my number goals for children's nonfiction by 31 books! I increased my graphic novels books by 14. I did NOT meet my number goals in professional teaching books and adult titles and actually decreased those numbers.. I also have a gap in poetry even though I increased that by 11 books over 2012.
Goals for 2014:
- Keep Goodreads goal to 300 books. This number was perfect for me. It kept me challenged but didn't stress me out.
- My reading gaps this year are adult fiction/nonfiction, middle grade/young adult nonfiction, poetry, and professional teaching books. I'd like to step those up this year.
I'd love to hear your 2013 reading reflections, favorite lists, and goals for 2014!