Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Nonfiction Wednesday

 
I'm excited that Alyson Beecher, at Kid Lit Frenzy, is continuing her Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge for the third year in a row.
 
Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla
 
 
 
 
I love that we now have a picture book as well as the Newbery winning novel of this winsome gorilla. Kids will love revisiting Ivan and learning more about his real life. The illustrations capture Ivan's sweetness, joy, sadness, loneliness, and triumph throughout the journey of his celebrated life. Wonderful photograph of the real Ivan at the end! The About Ivan section gives his biography.   For those kids who haven't read The One and Only Ivan yet (Are there any left?), this new picture book will make them want to pick it up!  It reminds me all over again of our parent/student book club to The Cincinnati Zoo.  What a great day that was!  Ivan continues to live on...
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't this book amazing? I think the book trailer is even more powerful. I used this book with my 4th gr reading students and they were captivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I NEED this book so much! I loved One and Only Ivan, so I am so looking forward to this PB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ivan's story is certainly one of triumph. This picture book makes his story even more accessible and important. I loved sharing it with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of The One and Only Ivan thas been gathering dust in my bookshelf. I think I might have to read it soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete