Thursday, December 4, 2014

Spiritual Journey Thursday - Advent (Mary)

     I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly theme topic.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
 
Advent:  a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas
 
     It's December, my favorite time of year.  As soon as Thanksgiving is over, I start playing my two favorite Christmas albums: Amy Grant's Christmas Album and Amy Grant's Home for Christmas, and I play one of my favorite Christmas songs,  MercyMe's version of "Silent Night," over and over.  I love the lights, the tree, the cookies, the presents.  Our town has a horse-drawn carriage parade that's beautiful.  I love the time home with family and friends.I love our candlelight Christmas Eve service, our traditional spaghetti and meatballs dinner afterward. I love the tradition of new p.j.s and Christmas-themed picture books, opened on Christmas Eve.  I love Christmas cards. I love our early Christmas mornings (even though I might complain about how early Katie always wakes all of us up) and breakfasts.  I love that my birthday is the day after Christmas, so I never have the after-Christmas blues.  I love hosting the New Year's Eve party every year.  I love it all.
 
     However, I can't help but wonder what it was like to be Mary and Joseph all those years ago.  There certainly wasn't tinsel, Black Friday shopping, carols, and piles of presents under a tree.  What were their conversations, dreams, worries?  What did they whisper, pray about, and look forward to?  What were their fears and hopes?   What can we learn from their expectant waiting?  They knew they were waiting for a gift from God.  But did they REALLY know?
 

 
 
     Such a battle of fear and hope they must have experienced.  It's such an incredible plan that God had - to send His Son down to be born of a woman.  If you're a parent you know that juxtaposition of fear and hope that seems present so much of the time.  How they must have felt.  We have the advantage of knowing the whole story, but they didn't.  What it must have been like.  We know hope triumphed. We know it will always triumph.  Even in the midst of fear.  We expectantly wait for HOPE in Advent and beyond.  How wonderful. 
 
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

 
 

 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha, Holly I almost shared the Amy Grant video too. Those are two of my favorite Christmas albums too. I suggest Matthew West's Heart of Christmas! LOVE it!! (If we lived closer, we could enjoy hot cocoa and listen to Christmas music!!!) I love the comparison of our world and the world of Mary & Joseph. Thank you for this topic. It made me think and reflect a lot! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary's Song by Amy Grant gets me every time. I have played this record over and over. I am so unprepared this year that I don't even know where my CD is. I need to take some time this weekend to get ready, tree, creche, and Amy Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Grant does symbolize Christmas every year -- "Mary's Song" being one of my favorites as well. (Of course I'm also partial to "Tennessee Christmas" but that's for other reasons.) My son's favorite song she sings is "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing". All of them center around the true preparation of our heart creating room for Him. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure that I have ever heard Mary's song before! What a treat! This advent is really teaching me about waiting as I am waiting for my daughter to come home, getting ready to celebrate Christmas, and trying to have those moments of silence to prepare my heart as well! Thinking and writing about Advent is a great way to stay focused on what is important!

    ReplyDelete