Friday, February 6, 2015

Poetry Friday - Celebrating Newbery Novels in Verse

 
This year's American Library Association Youth Media Awards had some groundbreaking winners.  A graphic novel won a Newbery Honor (El Deafo), a Caldecott Honor (This One Summer), and Printz Honor (This One Summer).  I also thought it was wonderful that two novels in verse won an Honor Newbery (Brown Girl Dreaming) and the top honor, the Newbery (The Crossover).  I love novels in verse, and I particularly loved Brown Girl Dreaming and The Crossover this year.  The Crossover is also a Cybils' Middle Grade Fiction Finalist, and I'm a Round 2 Judge, so I'm not going to say too much about it at this point, but know that it moved me greatly. The other special feature of the three Newbery books is the diversity they represent.  All you poets who love words and stories will love these novels in verse - don't miss them!
 


Review will come after the Cybils announcements - I haven't reviewed any of those books yet online because we don't want to give away our leanings.  Look for the winner announced on February 14th!
 
 
 
 
 
 
My Goodreads Review:
This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I was able to get the ARC at ALA and read it right away while in Vegas because so many Nerdy Book Club people have been talking about it. I read it slowly, savoring every word. I loved hearing about Jacqueline's journey as a writer. I will also get the hardback when it comes out because it is a keepsake. I can't wait to share this with friends and students. It will be a treasure in my classroom library. I love what Woodson said about memories and stories in her author's note. "The people who came before me worked so hard to make this world a better place for me. I know my work is to make the world a better place for those coming after. As long as I can remember this, I can continue to do the work I was put here to do."
 
 
 
Hop on over to the Poetry Roundup at  Elizabeth Steinglass blog!  I haven't forgotten about sharing my students' OLW acrostic poems, but it's taking longer than I thought to finish them!
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Holly, I am so excited that you showcased Kwame in this post. He is a longtime friend of mine and I am going to send him this link. He is walking on air this week. I am so proud of him. What you see in his read aloud is the real deal. Kwame is an exuberant speaker and students flock to him as if he were a demi-god.Thank you for sharing his work.

    By the way, Jacqueline Woodson is amazing. I am thrilled that you have these clips here for me to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwame is a friend of yours, Carol?! Wow! I've loved watching his reactions to this Newbery win. You can tell he's the real deal! I'm thrilled for his book! I've listened to it on audio and read the print version, and both times was blown away (and left in tears!). I'm really excited about the winners this year. El Deafo is a ground-breaker, too. Cece Bell is awesome. These three writers have a lot to celebrate, and so do we as their readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting those videos. Very cool! Also, I just found The Crossover Kindle version for $1.99. Grabbed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, great post! Thank you for sharing these videos and these books. They are two of my favorite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was feeling really good about finding The Crossover on Kindle so cheap, and buying it for my boys. But then I was like, wait, what? A brand spanking new Newbery book plastered with gold seals and it's on sale for $1.99? And Brown Girl Dreaming is also like, half price off? Since when does that happen? Usually the award winners are impossible to get for any price the week after they are announced. Anyone else wonder about that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Poets ask the questions, scientists answer them."
    Lovely. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So exciting to read people who love poetry. :-) Kwame is at a writer's conference I'm attending, and I might try to get his book. I hope I can swing it. I like the quote from Woodson, too. I wish we could all make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right, Holly. There's much to celebrate this year! The Crossover and Brown Girl Dreaming are bigtime favorites of mine, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the year wasn't it, Holly? Lucky us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to the announcements! :) We have also finished with our deliberations for the CYBILS Fiction Picture Book category, very excited to share our results as well. :)
    Love poetry in verse!

    ReplyDelete