Monday, November 26, 2012

Mock Caldecott 2013 Club Day 13

It's Nonfiction Monday during Picture Book Month, and the theme is PREHISTORIC.  I chose two books that I thought would go with the theme to share with my students for our Mock Newbery 2013 Club:

A Rock Is Lively
 
 
 
I love the beautiful books in this series:  An Egg is Quiet, A Seed is Sleepy, and A Butterfly Is Patient
 
Here are comments from my 4th graders about this creative nonfiction book:

"I liked how the rocks looked real."
"I liked all the colors that were used in the rocks."
"I liked how the illustrations showed the inside of some rocks."
"I love rocks!  My brother keeps rocks in his pockets."
"I liked the detail of the rocks."
"I liked how the illustrations looked realistic."
"I love the beautiful pictures on every page."
"This book about rocks is very creative with all its colors and designs."
"I think it's amazing that the illustrator could paint such detail into those rocks."
"This book about rocks is so beautiful because of how real they look."
"Lapis Lazuli and Obsidian are in Minecraft! You can make a Nether Portal with Obsidian!"


Island: A Story of the Galápagos
 
 
The students and I found this book fascinating because of the species of animals and plants only found on the Galapagos Islands.  We learned the term "endemic," which means "unique to a defined geographic location, such as an island, nation or other defined zone." 
 
 
This video has amazing footage of the wildlife around the Galapagos Islands.
 
Here are comments my students made about this book:
 
"I liked the pictures because they showed the volcano and how it formed the island."
"I liked all the animals and how it showed the stages of evolution."
"This nonfiction story about the Galapagos Islands is interesting how the animals adapt to their surroundings."
"I like how the author split the book into parts like a chapter book."
"I like how the author compared the stages of the islands to the stages of a human being."
"The illustrations were interesting.  I like all the animals."



No comments:

Post a Comment