Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Kate Messner Skype Visit and Happy Book Birthdays

WOW!  Kate Messner is awesome!  My class of fourth graders and I enjoyed a wonderful Skype visit from Kate Messner today answering questions about her book Capture the Flag.

  My students were able to ask questions like:

"How did you make the kids so realistic?"
"Where did you get the idea of the book being about stealing history?"
"Why did you choose the Harry Potter series for Jose's favorite books?"
"How much time in a day do you  spend writing?"
"How long did it take to write and publish Capture the Flag?"
"Did you base the characters on people you know?"
"Will the next books in the series have the same characters?"
"How did you choose the Silver Jaguars and the Serpentine Princes as the two opposing forces?"
"Why did you make the Anna the leader of the group?"

Ms. Messner took time to answer each question thoroughly and thoughtfully.  She even took the time to read us the first part of Hide and Seek.  My students and I can't wait to read it!  I distributed order forms for her signed books as part of the Skyping experience, and the kids are so excited to purchase them.

Here are some comments kids made in their thank you letters:

"It was so cool that I got to meet an author.  And you were right there!  It felt like you were sitting right there in that exact room with us!"
"I loved the answers you gave us for our questions."
"I can't wait until Hide and Seek comes out.  I will read it until I can't read anymore."
"You are so nice to give us your time and let us ask some questions and giving us a sneak peak into Hide and Seek."
"All my questions are answered!  I'm starting Eye of the Storm today.  I can't wait! "
"I love your book.  I think Hide and Seek will be AWESOME! I hope you make another series of books."
"I can't wait to get your signed copy of Hide and Seek.  You can be sure I am going to order one.  I might even get Eye of the Storm
"It was very fun getting to ask our questions."
"I liked how we were lucky to have a Skype visit with you."
"Thank you for the Skype visit about Capture the Flag.  I think the name for the series should be "Capture the Reader's Heart!"
"Thank you for the Skype visit with Mrs. Mueller's class.  It was SOOOOOOOOOO much fun.  Capture the Flag was really fun to read.  It was fast paced and very mysterious."


Each student prepared a question beforehand and stood up to ask it. 
 
We were excited to hear the first chapter of Hide and Seek!
 
 
We will never forget Kate Messner's generosity in taking the time to answer our questions and reading to us!

 

Happy Book Birthdays!
 
The 2013 reading season for children's and young adult books has begun!  Some great books came out today.  I got advanced e-reader copies from NetGalley of Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool, The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan, Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff, and Hokey Pokey by Jerry Spinelli.  I will review them on upcoming Sunday Review posts.
 

Gingersnap
 
Road Trip
 
One Came Home
 
Hokey Pokey
 
 
Navigating Early
 
Crash (Visions, #1)
 
The Tragedy Paper
 
Paper Valentine
 
Just One Day (Just One Day, #1)
 
Chu's Day
 
 
A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin

No comments:

Post a Comment