Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

These are memes started by Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey, and I'm excited to participate, along with many other bloggers, in reviewing books I read the previous week. I'll be reviewing picture books through adult books.


 
 
This was a slow reading week.  There was a lot going on, including friends staying the weekend, so I only got through a couple books.  I had to abandon The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.  It was just too long and dense for this time of year.  I hope to go back to it one of these days, so if you were waiting on that review, I apologize!  Four out five book club members decided to do the same, but our fifth member did manage to read the whole thing and liked it.  Some day!  Here are the books I did finish:
 
Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
 
 
 
I had a student request that I read this after she gobbled up the whole series and was sorry to see it end. She's on her own quest now to make sure everyone she knows reads this series. I've known it is popular with kids, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it. I love when one of my students directly challenges me to read something! Gregor is an 11-year-old boy, living with the sorrow of a missing father and struggling mother in New York City. He and his fearless baby sister, Boots, get sucked into a creepy Underland beneath the city when they are in the laundry room of their NY apartment. There they meet humans are in residence with rats, giant cockroaches, and spiders. Gregor finds out he is part of a prophecy that depends on him to save the Underland. He just wants to go home, but he relunctantly joins the quest and may find his father as well as defeat the evil rats. I loved the ending, which of course, sets up the next adventure. Direct your 4th graders to this series when they want to read The Hunger Games!

The Center of Everything
 
 
 
I got this title from Net Galley and was so excited to read it because I had already heard some buzz around it. I can see why. Linda Urban has such a gift of being able to say so much in a seemingly simple story. The children she creates are multi-layered and dealing with deep hurts and joys. In this one, Ruby Pepperdine (love that name) has won the Bunning Day essay contest, so she has to read it aloud in front of the entire town. Her beloved grandmother, Gigi, died recently, though, leaving Ruby regretting their final moments together. This town is known for its donuts and its wishes. Ruby wants her wish to be granted so badly. Will she be able to recite her essay, keep her best friend from getting mad at her over a boy, and have her wish come true? From interesting points of view, Urban creates another poignant story in the same vein as Hound Dog True and A Crooked Kind of Perfect.


And that's it!  I hope this week brings more reading accomplishments.  I did read some nonfiction, which I will review on Wednesday.  Here are books that are in the works:

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
 
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)
 
CURRENTLY READING:
 
Hide and Seek
 
ON DECK:
Change Me into Zeus's Daughter: A Memoir
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm midway through Scarlet too (in text, though). Very much enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete