Sunday, June 2, 2013

Armchair BEA - Graphic Novel Format and Wrap Up

 
 
I'm sorry to see Armchair BEA end.  It was a fun way to connect to other bibliophiles and bloggers.  I'll be continuing to click on the links of all the bloggers who wrote about various topics since there were too many to read in just one week!  Today we were asked to blog about any genres missed throughout the week.  I'd like to write about the graphic novel.   It's not a genre, it's a format, but it's so popular in kidlit right now, I'd like to feature some of my students' favorites.  It's a reading gap of mine because I didn't grow up reading comics, and I didn't really think I would like to read them as an adult.  However, my students DO love them, so I feel like I need to know about them and add graphic novels to my classroom library.  I also admit that I was rather skeptical about their value - especially in a gifted reading classroom.  I read a lot about how they're great for reluctant and struggling readers, but that's not who I teach.  The more I read, though, the more I was convinced that they have value for all readers. During a Sharp-Schu book club in the spring, Mr. Schu, Dave Roman, and Reading With Pix helped me with research supporting the value of graphic novels.  Here are some links to research that support this theory:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Convinced?  On the discussion of genre - graphic novels come in all kinds of genres - fantasy, science fiction, biography, memoir, realistic fiction, historical fiction, etc.  There are also fantastic adaptations of beloved classics coming out now.   Here are some of my favorites and my students' favorites:
 
Drama 
 
 
 
 
Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper
 
The Amulet Series by Kazu Kibuishi
 
My students DEVOURED this series and can't wait for #6!
 
 
Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
 
I love Babymouse!  The fun thing about these books is that they have so many layers.  On the first layer, the story is just about a lovable, spunky mouse who deals with bullying and has a great imagination.  Then there are layers on top of that full of allusions and humor that older kids and adults love.
 
 
Babymouse is accompanying Mr. Schu on his road trip this summer!
 
 
 
 
If you love Babymouse, then you'll love Squish by the same authors!
 
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1)
 
 
I met Jarrett this winter and heard him speak.  He is SUCH a nice guy and has an inspiring story.
 



Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
 
 
 
 

 
The Bone Series by Jeff Smith
 
 
The City of Ember: The Graphic Novel
 
City of Ember: The Graphic Novel by Jeanne DuPrau, adapted by Dallas Middaugh, art by Niklas Asker
 
 
 
What are some graphic novels you and your students have enjoyed?  I'd be interested in hearing about upper intermediate graphic novels since I'm going to be teaching 5th/6th grade gifted reading next year.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Looks like graphic novels are getting a lot of votes so far. Enjoyed visiting your blog and plan on coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love comics and graphic novels and you've listed a few here that are new to me. Looking forward to checking them out!

    ReplyDelete