Thursday, June 6, 2013

End of School Year Recap

     Now that Armchair BEA, It's Monday! What Are You Reading, and Nonfiction Wednesday posts are over AND the school year ended last Thursday, it's time to do a few reflection posts about my students, teaching, and reading this year.  Today, I want to share our end-of-year Animoto video, final Spin Cams, and words from my students describing what kind of readers they are now, so let's get to it!




It was a FABULOUS year!

FINAL SPIN CAMS

 

 

 
 
I wasn't able to get one taken of my fourth group.  :-(
 
BOOKS WE'VE SHARED
 I print out color copies of every book read aloud and hang them around the top of the wall in my classrooms.  I had three classrooms this year since I traveled to all three elementaries every day.  It was hard to capture all the titles in the Spin Cam, but hopefully you get the idea.
 
 
On close to the last day, I had students fill out an END OF FOURTH GRADE READING REFLECTION.  The last question tells students to DESCRIBE YOURSELF AS A READER RIGHT NOW IN FIVE WORDS OR LESS.  Here are some responses that show how students felt about reading at the end of the year:
 
- Hungry for more reading!
- great, diligent
- I am a prolific reader.
- strong, fast, curious, and dedicated
- I have improved a lot!
- fast, thoughtful
- awesome, smart, and happy
- amazing, interested, in zone, awesome
- I'm more confident about reading.
- A psycho for reading!
- fluent, good, need to continue
- I am a thoughtful reader.
- an excellent reader
- I can't stop reading.
- Loves to read anything!
- A fast, understanding, persistent reader.
- I read new books.
- I understand and comprehend more.
- strong, confident, good
- an experienced reader now
- ready to read
- animal reader
- I am an AWESOME reader.
- I LOVE reading!
 
I love these.  They give me a picture of the attitudes about reading in my classroom.  There is no lack of confidence or love!  I hope they continue to feel this way all the way through high school!  I get the same students for reading in 5th and 6th grade now since I'm moving to the intermediate building with them, so I've got them covered for at least the next two years.  I am so excited about that!!  More reflections to come!
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That is a TON of read alouds. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I make a commitment to read aloud every day. Sometimes it's hard because of all we need to do, but the students come to count on it. I think it's one of the best ways I build a reading community...and it's fun. :-)

      Delete