Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Nonfiction Wedneday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.


 
Here are the nonfiction books I read this week:
 
Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I picked this book up awhile ago and just got around to reading it. I'm so glad I did! It's a true story about two tailless pets, Bobbi the dog and Bob Cat the cat, who were left behind in Hurricane Katrina. Miraculously, the two survived months and were finally taken to a shelter where they were placed in separate rooms. As a result of the best friends' protests, the volunteers put them together where they were happy. It was discovered there that Bob Cat was blind - Bobbi had been his seeing-eye dog! Since they didn't have success finding the two a home, CNN did a story on them. After that, they were rescued and kept together. What a heartwarming story about friendship and survival! Sweet illustrations.
 
 
On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein
 
 
2013-book, biography, bookaday2013, creativity, curiosity, nonfiction, nonfiction-challenge-2013, picture-book,reading-gap-challenge-2013, science



I really enjoyed this biography of Albert Einstein, from his silent childhood to his burgeoning curiosity to his brilliant scientific discoveries. I LOVED the whimsical illustrations and design of the book. I also enjoyed how the author and illustrator depicted his parents - they were loving and supportive. Good additional facts at the end, especially information about how playful and fun Einstein was.

What nonfiction books have YOU read this week?
 
 

 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great books to share! And you know I love Kirby Larson and also that On the Beam of Light book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy I will be reading more nonfiction as well! :) I will also be reading more reviews as I just linked up to follow you. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee,
      Thanks so much for stopping by AND for following!:-)

      Delete