Thursday, July 18, 2013

It's THIRSTday!

Thank you to David Etkin for starting a meme on his blog, {Eat the Book}. Today is Thursday THIRSTday: A beverage and a book.
 
 
One of the wonderful things about summer is that the day of the week isn't as important as during the school year.  Sometimes I have to ask myself, "What day is it?"  I did that right before I started writing this post, making sure it really is Thursday.  Yep - it really is!
 
I like to feature the books I'm reading on Thursday with the mugs my friend, Karan Witham-Walsh, makes.  She's an amazing potter and high school ceramics teacher!  This is a mug she made me a while ago, so it may not be on her Etsy site, but if you go there, you'll find some wonderful pottery!
 
 
I'm currently reading Kate Messner's Real Revision and participating in her wonderful online professional development initiative, Teachers Write (click the link to go to today's quick-write prompt).  If you're not participating yet, it's not too late!  I love this book.  Kate has an accessible, conversational way of writing, and since she was a classroom teacher AND she writes books, she is the real deal!  There are lots of ideas in this book to use right away in your classroom.
 
The other book I'm reading (I love fiction so much that when I'm reading nonfiction or professional development books, I have to also be reading fiction!) is Paperboy by Vince Vawter.  I read it as soon as I could after my last Mock Newbery 2014 Club meeting because two of my students read it and recommended it.  When I tweeted Vince Vawter that news, he said that July was the perfect month to read it.  Now I know why!  It's a fascinating look into the life of a boy who stutters, but it's even more than that.  Look for my review on Monday.
 
 
What is YOUR beverage and book this hot and muggy Thursday?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment