I have a MONSTER To-Read list on Goodreads (939), so I love this challenge set up by Carrie Gelson and Maria Selke to knock off some of those books on our lists that we definitely want to read in 2014.
Now, how do I narrow this down to a manageable list for a post?! Of course, I'll be reading outside this list, too, but here I go:
READ! Finished 2/14/14
1. I got the ARC of Shadow Throne at NCTE, and haven't seen it since! My students have confiscated it, and they report back that it is amazing!
2. My students and I loved Bigger Than a Breadbox, so we have eagerly awaited this companion novel.
3. This young woman's story is so inspiring!
4. I look forward to finishing the Lunar Chronicles series.
5. I've been hearing lots of great things about this book.
6. I loved The Pull of Gravity and have been looking forward to Gae Polisner's new one.
READ! Finished 2/10/14
7. I need to see what happens to the Raven Boys!
8. Because I love everything Kirby Larson writes and I have a signed copy!
9. A student book talked this last week, and now I really want to read it!
10. Megan loved this book, and I've heard lots of great things about it.
11. This has been on my to-read list for a long time and now he has a new one!
12. Because it won the Pulitzer Prize and my mom loved it.
13. I've had this on my bookshelf for I don't know how long. Now he has a new book out. I want to read both!
14. Here's his new book, also on my list:
15. There's an awesome bookseller at Joseph-Beth that convinced me I need to read this book.
16. Louise signed this for me at last year's Dublin Lit conference, and I haven't gotten to it. It looks so good!
17. I have wanted to read this series for FOREVER!
18. This book's cover is gorgeous, isn't it? I know because it's been sitting on my bookshelf for a year!
19. Another one I've had sitting around my house for a long time!
20. Because it won the National Book Award! I have a student reading The Birchbark series. I'd love to read those books, too.
21. My husband read the whole series!
22. My 6th graders love this series.
23. I first heard about this book from Donalyn Miller at a conference a couple years ago. A couple of my students read it and loved it!
24. I'd like to read all John Green's books!
25. I like everything Kate Messner writes but haven't gotten to this one yet.
26. I read another one of Kate Morton's books for book club and loved it. Everyone said they liked The Forgotten Garden even better!
27. I can't believe I've never read this.
28. I loved Countdown and am SO excited about this next book in the series!
29. Since this is the very first book on my giant To-Read list, I should read it!!
30. Lots of people recommended this book, and I think my middle graders would love it. I'd like to read the sequel coming out, too.
31. There is already 2014 buzz about this book.
32. My sixth graders are very interested in the Holocaust, and I'd like to add this to books I could recommend.
33. Because it's an Oprah pick!!
34. This looks SO good!
35. To set myself up for success, I'm adding the book I'm currently reading and need to finish for book club!
That felt great! Now I know what I want to tackle for sure this year!
Since I made this list, I'm also going to join Gathering Books' Check Off Your Reading List Challenge. I hope to get to Level 3: Rabid Bibliophile. ;-) Thanks, Myra, for another fun challenge!