Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Nonfiction Wednesday

nfpb2016logo
 
I'm excited that Alyson Beecher, at Kid Lit Frenzy, is continuing her Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge for the fifth year in a row.


Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the Selma Voting Rights March by Lynda Blackmon Lowery; as told by Elspeth Leacock and Susan Buckley


A 2016 Sibert Honor winner, this memoir of the youngest person to take part in the whole Selma to Montgomery March, is excellent. Wonderful illustrations and stirring photographs accompany Lynda Blackmon Lowery's story.  The determination, strength, and sacrifice that was required of civil rights protesters during this time never ceases to amaze me.  There is a tribute to four Bloody Sunday participants who lost their lives (one disappeared) in the back: Jimmie Lee Jackson, Reverend James Reeb, Viola Gregg, and Leroy Moten.  I think this would make an excellent nonfiction read aloud.



5 comments:

  1. I remember sitting down to read just a little bit of it this summer, and then before I knew it I had finished it. Great and compelling read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I've missed this one, Holly. It sounds like another one I should read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen this one, either - this is all so fascinating to me, as I'm not all that familiar with American history. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your insights Holly. I am adding it to my must read list. You've reminded me to go back to the award winners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for including the video. I have had the book on my list, but I definitely want to get to it sooner now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete