Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #13 - Made by Maxine



 My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly some other mentor texts as well.
bookshelves: 2018-book, character-traits, creativity, grit, growth-mindset, makerspace, picture-book, perseverance-grit, stem-steam, determination, inventions, rube-goldberg-machine 

"If I can dream it, I can make it!" Maxine's determination to make sure Milton, her goldfish, is in the school pet parade makes this the perfect book to add to my growth mindset collection. It reminds me very much of The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires. Maxine shows us how to make mistakes, fail forward, and keep trying until you make something wonderful!

View all my reviews

Writing invitation: Write about a time that you failed at something.  How did you feel?  Did you keep trying or decide you were done?

     SMACK! My face hit a wall.  Not a real wall, mind you.  Just water.  But man, it felt like a wall.  Gasping breath, deep inhaling gulps that filled my lungs with water.  How can water feel this way? My chest, stomach, and arms hurt.  Frustration filled my brain even as I struggled to upright myself, get some oxygen, figure out how to extract myself from one of the boots.  My palms were red and raw, my shoulders sore, my pride hurt. 

     "Oh man, are you okay?!"  I heard from above.  A motor roared.   I bobbed ridiculously with one ski on, one floating 20 feet away. I had just experienced my umpteenth face plant into Lake Cumberland, attempting to water ski.  I was 35 years old.  I had grown up in fishing boats, but not behind ski boats.  When we moved to Pittsburgh, we bought our first boat - we wanted to tube, water ski, and hang out with friends with our kids.  Since I had never skied before, I was determined to learn.  We were invited on a houseboat trip with a group of friends, so I thought it was the perfect time to learn.  Surely, I could do this.  I was young(ish), athletic, in good shape.  Easy peasy, right?  WRONG.  I attempted to get up out of the water again and again.

     "Relax!"  they all yelled.  "Let the boat pull you up!  Don't pull back on the rope! RELAAAX!!!!!!!" 
   
      Geez.  How was I supposed to relax with everyone yelling at me?  I tried again and again.  That houseboat trip came to an end, and I never did get up out of the water.  I was SO mad!

     Fast forward to another trip shortly after at Deep Creek, and I was determined to try again.  Weirdly, I experienced success the first time.  I got up and was able to ski!  I guess I just had to RELAX.  Our girls learned pretty quickly, and we had a blast with that boat for many years! 

Finally!  Success!

                                               Katie                                                  Libby

A great video I like to show kids about a growth mindset:


I have also been compiling a list of growth mindset books.  I am in the process of adding new ones!  Feel free to give me suggestions about books to add in the comments!


     
 


   

4 comments:

  1. Love this Holly!! The start of your writing is so descriptive. Love the sound words as you smacked that wall of water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water skiing face plant! I know it well! Love that you stuck with it, relaxed, and figured it out! So fun! I also love the connections you're making with both the books and the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your intro made me flinch - ouch and then I was relieved it was a wall of water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I water skied when I was a teenager, but would never consider doing it now. You were brave to try and then to not give up and try again!

    ReplyDelete