Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #26 - Come With Me and Say Something


My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly some other mentor texts as well.



Come with MeCome with Me by Holly M. McGhee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

bookshelves: 2017-bookempathyfathersfearshopefriendship,leaving-a-legacypicture-booksocial-injusticesocial-responsibility,share-with-teachers 

We're living in a time when the social-emotional well-being of children is in crisis.  I don't think there could be a more perfect book to share with children right now than this one. Beautiful and perfect.

Say SomethingSay Something by Peter H. Reynolds
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book encourages children to share their voices in all kinds of ways - it doesn't have to be through words. Maybe it's planting a garden, painting a picture, being kind to someone, expressing yourself through your style, or simply giving someone a smile. Children can change the world -whether it be simple or extraordinary. The important this is to make a difference in your own unique way.

View all my reviews

Writing invitation: What ways can you express yourself and make a positive difference in the world?  What good things in others do you notice that make an impact?

These books make me think of the people around me who  make the world a better place in their own ways...

My friend, Karan: makes beautiful pottery and is fiercely dedicated to family and friends
My friend, Jill: is a champion of the marginalized and underdog, can get along with anyone
My friend, Lisa: remains even-keeled and funny in all situations and accepts everyone as they are
My friend, Annie: has an unmatched enthusiasm and energy for life and people
My friend, Megan: is smart, funny, easy to be around and talk to, and fun
My friend, Julie: is kind-hearted and quick to make friends
My mom: loves people, always thinks positively, and is full of energy
My dad: is kind, honest, loyal, strong, and full of integrity
My husband, Ed: seems to know and be interested in everything, takes care of everyone, and solves problems creatively, is an amazing cook, and makes people laugh
My daughter, Libby: loves to learn and talk, enjoys all kinds of people, has a great laugh, and is a brilliant writer
My son-in-law, Jamie: always gentle and easy-going, has a kind smile, and is always positive and fun
My daughter, Katie: is loyal and generous, gives perfect gifts, and is a good leader

This list could go on and on!  There are so many people in my life that make the world a better place!  This slice may develop into something more in the future...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like this slice should develop. I love how that books build your connections to your own people. Another reason to read...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so thoughtful and interesting. I love your book reviews, thank you. And your list, it's amazing how many people we know who are doing good things, so positive!

    ReplyDelete