Saturday, March 23, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #23 - I Am Yoga, I Am Peace, I Am Human



 My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly some other mentor texts as well.


I Am Yoga I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness

I Am Human: A Book of EmpathyI Am Human: A Book of Empathy by Susan Verde

bookshelves: 2018-book, empathy, emotions, choices, confidence, grit, growth-mindset, hope, identity, individuality, picture-book, journey, curiosity, creativity
I love Susan Verde's and Peter H. Reynolds's "I am..." books! This one is perfect for an empathy unit. In this one, the author/illustrator team celebrates being human - embracing the wonderfulness of being human, but also recognizing the hard parts. The ending empowers children to choose happiness and kindness, to move forward, and understand that they are not alone. "We are all humans together." It would be a great book to begin AND end a school year.

View all my reviews


Image may contain: 8 people, including Sally Engelhard Reinders, people smiling, people standing
My first class with Columbia Intermediate School Colleagues, August 2016

I Am Cyclebar

When I feel stressed and tired,
when I wonder if things will calm down,
when things feel out of control...
I tell my weary body:
get on the bike.
I tell my spinning mind:
focus.
I tell my shallow breath:
fill your lungs with oxygen.
I am Cyclebar.
Image may contain: 17 people, including Alison Artl Eden, Amanda Garrido, Bonnie Koebbe and Kayleigh Lavorini, people smiling
Frank says,
"Breathe positivity in,
breathe negativity out."
Image may contain: 8 people, including Katie Mueller and Frank Harrison, people smiling
Amanda says,
"Look in the mirror.
You are a strong warrior.
You can do anything."
Image may contain: 3 people, including Katie Mueller and Amanda Garrido, people smilingImage may contain: 2 people, including Amanda Garrido, people smiling, text

Kayleigh says,
"Set your intentions.
Settle in.  You are here."

No photo description available.

Serena says,
"There are 1440 minutes in a day
and you're with me for 48 of those.
I won't waste your time."


Image may contain: one or more people and people standing
I can conquer my doubts.
I am capable.
I can sprint
and steady my breath.
I can sweat
and turn the gears up.
Image may contain: one or more peopleI can climb to the top three.
I can increase my power points,
and focus my mind.
I can stand up and push,
drop down to do push ups,
and pick up that bar.
I can dance to the pounding beat,
tricep dip,
and isolate.
I can reach my goals,
surge, sprint, and pedal faster.
I can high five afterward,
give sweaty hugs,
and celebrate
doubts conquered, a healthy body and mind,
causes championed,
positive power,
goals met,
and each other.
I am Cyclebar.
Image may contain: 16 people, including Alexandra Ellen, Kayleigh Lavorini, Nikki Stoller-Funderburg, Lowell Clark and Amanda Garrido, people smiling



  























2 comments:

  1. I adore this!! Such a great piece. I love the sentence variety and you have such strong images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured a cycle class perfectly with your words. You've inspired me for a Slice I'll write next week.

    ReplyDelete