Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.





Here are the nonfiction books I read this week:
 
Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
 
5 of 5 stars
 
 
It's amazing that new books can continue to reveal new, inspiring details of Helen Keller's life. Even though I've heard many of the facts about her before, this one captures her lively spirit, intelligence, activism, and the fierce love she had for Annie Sullivan. I love introducing kids to her story for the first time because it never ceases to captivate and inspire young people. Beautiful illustrations (be sure to read the illustrator's note at the end, explaining how he wanted to capture the things she loved to do), highlighted quotes, a timeline, and manual language chart add up to make a terrific picture book biography of Helen Keller.
 
Noah Webster and His Words
 
 
5 of 5 stars
 
 
 
 
I loved this picture book biography of Noah Webster! What an amazing life he led! I really liked how the author incorporated dictionary entries of words into the narrative text, and the illustrations are quirky and creative. I can't imagine the drive and determination it took to write the first dictionary - twenty years of work! I didn't know some of the other accomplishments of Webster including lecturing about uniting the states with a strong central government, starting a magazine and newspaper, publishing storybooks and spellers, and worked as a lawyer. Great addition to a classroom library!
 
What nonfiction books did YOU read this week?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment