Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Nonfiction Wednesday


 
  Join Alyson and others at Kid Lit Frenzy for a nonfiction picture book bonanza each week!
 
Leaflets Three, Let It Be!: The Story of Poison Ivy
 
 
 
Kids will be interested to know that poison ivy isn't all bad - it can make a good support for nests, provide shade, nectar for bees, food for insects, white berries for hungry birds in the winter, and more. The oily chemical, urushiol, which gives approximately 85% of us a nasty rash, isn't harmful to animal who depend on it. I loved the painted paper illustrations, given a 3-D effect by layering and photographing the result.
 
Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
 
 
 
Kids are going to love learning about Robert Miller, aka "Count Victor Lustig," a swindler, con artist, and schemer. I loved Greg Pizzoli's illustrations done in pencil, ink, rubber stamps, halftone photographs, silkscreen, Zipatone, and Photoshop. Interesting sidebars are included throughout the book on prohibition, the Eiffel Tower and its critics, Hotel de Crillon in Paris, counterfeiting, and Alcatraz. This book would pair perfectly with Al Capone Does My Shirts. I'll be purchasing this one for my classroom library.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. I need to read Tricky Vic!!! I've had it since spring and I just haven't gotten to it yet! I haven't heard of the other book, looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is convinced that as soon as we leave the city, she will find poison ivy everywhere! I need to pick up this book for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that poison ivy is loved by most every thing but humans, Holly! I also want to read that Tricky Vic story. It sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricky Vic is on my list to read next year. Looking for longer NFPBs to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like showing kids that there are many sides to all things, including things they might dislike or fear, like spiders, wasps or, in this case, poison ivy. Nature has a plan, even if sometimes we can't figure it out (I still hate wasps.....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling us about the Poison Ivy book. We love books that foster conversations about multiple points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep seeing Tricky Vic and it seems so interesting. I know I will get to it soon. Every time I hike I wonder if I am remembering correctly what Poison Ivy looks like. ;) I think I will have to grab that one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've heard so many things about Tricky Vic - really looking forward to finding this one in our library.

    ReplyDelete