Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #5 - Found and The Rough Patch






My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly                                                                   some other mentor texts as well. 


Found by Jeff Newman The Rough Patch by Brian Lies

Invitation: Write about a time when you lost something special to you.  

     Oh, these books!  They will break your heart and then put it back together again.  They both reminded me of one of my all-time favorite picture books, City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems.  The way these authors can show how a powerful love can leave a legacy strong enough to be able to love again creates hope and resilience in young readers (and old ones)!

     I lost a lot of animals growing up.  I lived in the country and was fortunate to help raise chickens, dogs, cats, horses, cows, a goat, ducks, a rabbit, goldfish, and even pheasants once.  I loved them all (well, except for a particularly mean rooster), but as we all know, animals don't live all that long.  As pragmatic about the circle of life as I was, I was always deeply affected by the death or loss of one of our animals. 

     One incident I remember in awe and horror was watching an owl swoop down and pluck one of my young ducks right off the edge of the pond while I walked through the field and fly away.  Right in front of me! I was stunned!  We held many a burial ceremony for our animals.  My dad would stand next to me as we gently placed whatever dear animal it was into the ground.  He may even have had to wipe away a tear or two as well. 

     However, all that sadness didn't stop us from opening our hearts to a new animal.  We'd bring home a dozen chicks or ducklings, a new kitten, a puppy...whatever new pet stole our hearts again.  These stories about love, loss, and love again are stories about life.  A life well lived is one in which we continually open and expand our hearts.

     I will leave you with the essay, "Joyas Voladoras" by Brian Doyle.  I read it when reading Katherine Bomer's The Journey is Everything.  Enjoy.

Image may contain: text

3 comments:

  1. This is so so sweet. It really touched my heart as someone who is active in dog rescue and fostering. I have lost so many, too, and that feeling of sadness never goes away. BUT what a shame it would be to not love again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books were such a wonderful accompaniment to your story. That owl, I could only imagine what that must of felt like.
    Beautiful story of open hearts and that quote really does tie it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are currently watching a wood duck house. I am standing by for any signs of snake intrusion. I would just die if an owl took one of the ducklings. I believe this whole process will be one of the circle of life and lessons of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete