Saturday, March 9, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #9 - What If...


My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly some other mentor texts as well. 
 
 
What If...What If... by Samantha Berger and Mike Curato
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

bookshelves: 2018-book, creativity, imagination, growth-mindset, picture-book, mock-caldecott-2019, writers-workshop, power-of-story  

Gorgeous book! I love mixed-media illustrations, so this one captivated my attention. Great inspiration for writing workshop, growth mindset lessons, and makerspaces!

View all my reviews

 
Writing invitation: What If... (Seems obvious, but still a powerful writing prompt!)
 
What If...
- I could change the world
- I could make something out of nothing
- I could listen more
- I could dream and create
- I could write something that changed someone's mind
- I could make a difference in a child's classroom
- I could inspire a teacher
- I could leave a legacy of strength, joy, and love
- I could make a new friend
- I could travel someplace new
- I could write a book
- I could own a bookstore
- I could give to someone in need
- I could start a literacy charity
- I could inspire someone to be a reader
- I could inspire someone to be a writer
- I could help someone
- I could love better
- I could stand up for something important
- I could be continually thankful
- I could live in the moment
- I could be more present
- I could be more prayerful
- I could breathe deeper
- I could read more poetry
 
What If?
 
I will come back to this list to write more about one of these!

9 comments:

  1. I love this writing invitation. I love this list. I love the idea that you are coming back to write more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am heading to a book store on spring break, and you have given me so many to look for from this first week of slicing! Thank you (I think!) :)

      Delete
  2. What if... can give imagination wings for art, for writing, for living. I'll put the book on our library order list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m trying to buy fewer books since I’m retiring, but I must get What If after reading your post. We can do these things. Now I’m thinking “How?” about each one. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Sometimes I really believe in the power of wishing things into existence. This could be used as a really excellent meditation on that practice. Forces you to think with positivity on change and provides a road map for growth. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great way to spark ideas and generate creativity!

    What if I use this strategy this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What if? Great question. What if we could start a literacy charity? What would that look like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if we turned on our imaginations, rather than our devices?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your "what if" invitations. I just requested the book from the library.

    ReplyDelete