Friday, March 8, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #8 - Drawn Together





My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly                                                                   some other mentor texts as well. 


Drawn TogetherDrawn Together by Minh Lê
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

bookshelves: 2018-book, art, character-development, communication, conflict-and-resolution, family, grandparents, picture-book, multicultural, weneeddiversebooks, disease, empathy  

Wonderful celebration of finding common ground between a grandfather and grandson who can't communicate due to a language barrier. This book would be a great discussion starter about coming together with those who are different from us by looking for commonalities. If we're patient and empathetic enough, we can overcome what separates us.

View all my reviews

     I've written about language barriers before in this post, but it seems like cheating to leave it at that!  I need to write something new.  I loved this book so much (I will buy it so I can bring it around with me, waiting for captive audiences to share it with), so I have to think about a new way to share how connections can overcome communication barriers.  This is one of those pieces of writing that I hope forms into something that is at least ok as I think and write, so here it goes...I have no plan!

     First step: Brainstorm

Things that create connection/community:

- Drawing (seems like it should be number one since it's what the book is about!)
- Music
- Dance
- Exercise/gyms (running, Pilates, yoga, spinning, walking, etc.)
- Book clubs
- Concerts
- Worship
- Coffee shops
- Food/cooking/baking
- Bars
- Family traditions/holidays
- Plays/musicals
- City identities (markets, bars, restaurants)
- Sports
- Schools/colleges
- Work
- Retirement communities
- Traveling
- Interest clubs
- Service/giving
- Neighborhoods
- Movies

It dawns on me that I'm overlooking the obvious.  Last night my husband and I went to see Hamilton (watch the 2nd guy from the left, btw - that's what inspiration is).  I realize this isn't a great example of overcoming language barriers, but it is an example of crossing over cultural and traditional  barriers.  The whole story of "Hamilton" and how it came to be fascinates me.  Crazy idea, right?  A rap musical about a historical figure? As I was watching it last night at the Aronoff, I realized I was witnessing true genius.  And I kept thinking about how we teach kids.  What if we taught history through rap?  Slam poetry?  Flash mob? I even overheard a kid say to his mom, "Well, if I learned history like that, I would actually care about it!"  What about our tendencies to teach the way we always have? The canons, the one way to solve a problem, the desks in rows?  What if we tried something different?  "Hamilton" is the quintessential example of innovation!

Steve Sheinkin, one of my favorite nonfiction writers, is motivated by the fact that kids would be more excited about history if they read narrative nonfiction instead of textbooks.  You can watch that video here. "Hamilton" is definitely narrative nonfiction!  And seriously, if you can evoke tears because of Hamilton's death - a very flawed, yet gifted historical figure -  then you know you've crossed many a barrier.

We need to find a way to connect to kids.  We need to forgo tradition, "That's the way we've always done it" mentality. We need to figure out how to address technology.  We need to assess how young people need to connect and communicate.  We need to quite lamenting "Kids these days....".  They're actually very similar to the way we were, just with different circumstances. We need to figure out what skills they need for the future so we can help prepare them. We need to figure out what resonates with our learners.  How do we connect to them?  We have kids from all kinds of backgrounds, religions, cultures, races, etc.  What is that will grow them?  Make them feel valued?  Make sure they feel part of a community? Meet them where they are?  What is that will motivate them?  Art? Music? Coding? Math? Lab experiments? A cool new author? It's up to us to figure it out....

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling




    

   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment