Thursday, March 7, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #7 - my heart (and a previously unpublished post)






My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly                                                                   some other mentor texts as well. 


My HeartMy Heart by Corinna Luyken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

bookshelves: 2019-bookcourageempathyfearandcourage,growth-mindsetemotionslovemock-caldecott-2019metaphor,picture-bookpoetrywriters-workshopinvitation-for-writinglyrical 

What a beautiful book about a heart that can endure sadness, loss, and disappointment, but can rebound with love, joy, kindness, and courage. I love that Luyken reminds us that the condition of our heart is our choice. I would love to read what kids would say their hearts are.

View all my reviews

Invitation: Write about your heart or what you love.

I had an unpublished blog post from July 31st, 2017, shortly after I resigned from my job as a classroom teacher.  I decided not to publish it for a couple reasons, mostly because I was excited about my new venture as an education consultant and didn't want to seem too sentimental about what I was leaving.  However, I think it's time to share what I wrote:

Image result for george couros change is an opportunity

     Today (it was July 31st, 2017) I will start a new job as an Education Consultant.  I have been mulling this post over in my mind for weeks.  What exactly do I want to say?  How will I process what this decision means?  Can I say goodbye in the right words? I don't know.  But here I will try...

    In the spring, I began a process of change.  As you may know if you read my blog posts (which have been few and far between lately, unfortunately) or know me, you know that the last five years of teaching gifted language arts have been the best of my teaching career.  However, I learned things were going to change a bit in my role.

     I went into the summer ready to enjoy the travels that I had planned, rest, and then get prepared for a brand new curriculum and program, which I had the opportunity to design from scratch.  Mom and I set out on a 9-day adventure on a tour out west, which was an incredible experience!  When we returned, I had planned to stay in Florida for a couple weeks, first to stay with Mom and Dad, and then visit my in-laws and The Villages with my husband, Ed.  During that time, a surprise e-mail came to me.  It was from a contact I had with a nearby county educational service office, telling me that a position was just posted that I might be interested in.  I read the job description and was floored.  Yes, I was interested!!  My passions include collaborating with other educators, sharing ideas and pedagogy, and this job provided those opportunities.  I could help advocate for gifted students, make a wider impact on gifted and literacy education, and support/inspire teachers and administrators in their endeavors to ensure best practices in ELA and gifted services.  It seemed to come along at the right time, and it was the right step - an exciting new change in my teaching journey.  I went through the interview process and was excited about what I learned. I was thrilled when I was offered the job.

     As excited as I am, though, about starting this wonderful new endeavor, it is also time to say goodbye to being "Mrs. Mueller".  I'll turn my classroom over to the person who is taking my place (and is going to be great), donate many of my books so they continue to be in the hands of the kids who need them, and close the door to teaching the kids I loved.  I spent last Friday afternoon reading each and every one of the nice notes I kept in my "Happy File", remembering each of those precious students, treasuring the kind words they shared, and chuckling at some of the funny things they said or pictures they drew.  One student called me "his Dumbledore".  Oh my - that letter is a tear-jerker!  It was the perfect closure, though, to remember the impact a teacher can make on the lives of children.  It is my hope and prayer that I can continue to make that impact, even if it's in a different way.  Farewell, Mrs. Mueller's classroom, and farewell students.  You'll always be on my mind as I begin a new adventure in the field of education!

     To be honest, it was difficult in my first year as a consultant.  I missed teaching kids deeply.  It was exciting learning new things, sharing ideas with teachers and administrators, consulting on lots of educational issues, planning and delivering professional learning experiences, and more, but my heart seemed divided between kids and the adults I was serving.  I wondered sometimes if I had made the right choice.  It wasn't that I didn't enjoy being a consultant; it was that I loved being a teacher.

     However, recently I realized my heart has expanded.  I never have to give up my love of teaching kids.  They are still central to what I do.  Every PD I put together, I keep kids in mind.  Every teacher who says she used my idea or tweaked it to make it perfect for her learners, kids are at the heart of it. Every gifted learner who gets his academic and social emotional needs met in a better way, every shift made by teachers who change their practices because of something they learned, every idea I've gotten from colleagues or teachers that make learning experiences better for children, every administrator whose problems or issues have been solved or made smaller, every smile on a child's face as I visit a classroom (sometimes I even get to model a lesson or co-teach)....these add up to an expanding heart that has been made richer because of this new career path.  I'm grateful that I am able to take what I learned and loved in my classroom days and share it, so that hopefully, teachers feel lifted up and revitalized, kids are empowered, and schools are more innovative.

     At a center meeting recently, words were picked for each consultant.  Mine was LOVE.  I was humbled.  It's true, though.  I want love to be at the heart of what I do.  Because kids deserve it.  And as a good teacher friend recently texted after I shared some ideas about a Mock Caldecott Club, "See, you're still a teacher."

My heart is kids.  My heart is teachers.  My heart is literacy.  My heart is gifted learners. 

My heart is right where it belongs. 

3 comments:

  1. I love how this challenge allows us to reflect on now and then. How brave to take a post and rework it for today. Thanks for sharing! Drafts are insights to other selves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is always difficult, but I think reflection makes the change easier. I think it would be hard to leave the classroom, although working with teachers is my next career goal! And aren't those Happy Files lifesavers...just when we need them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about how this change affected you. I know I would miss having daily contact with kids, but the work you do is important and obviously you are valued. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete