Thursday, March 25, 2021

Slice of Life Story Challenge #25 - Celebrate Exercise Class

 


It's time for the 14th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge!  

My theme for the Challenge is CELEBRATE.



     I read an article not too long ago about the affects of Covid isolation on social interactions that weren't even especially "deep".  The people you know at stores you frequent, colleagues and office spaces, neighbors, and all kinds of acquaintances.  I used to go to Cyclebar and Club Pilates, and the people there were important to me.  It's not like we had deep conversations (well, occasionally we did) or knew about everything in each other's lives, but I loved seeing them.  We checked in with each other.  We chatted. We cheered each other on and asked about each other's families and jobs.  We obviously shared similar interests, and I looked forward to going to classes.  The extra bonus of keeping in shape was just that...an extra bonus.  It was the shared community that I loved best.

     When we couldn't go anymore, I thought of all the "plusses".  Well, I saved money.  It was a lot of time to drive there and back.  It's a lot of money (did I say that already?).  I got a used Peloton bike.  Club Pilates was generous enough to provide Facebook Live classes.  I walked around the lake. A lot. Those were all great alternatives.  But honestly, I missed the motivation, comradery, and small talk (sometimes honest talk) that exercise classes provided.

    Since I've had my two vaccines, I decided to go back to Club Pilates this week.  First of all, OUCH!  I realized I had fallen out of shape.  Even though I exercised, I obviously didn't push myself as hard as a live instructor does.  I also realized it's a whole new group.  There wasn't anyone I knew in the classes I attended, including instructors.  There were new screens between reformers, and mask rules of course.  New sanitizing routines.  But that's okay.  There was a sense of community, even though it was not the same. It was a little like the first day of school.  Awkward.  A little unnerving.  New.  But I sure was happy to be there. It felt good.  

     Today, I celebrate Club Pilates.



No comments:

Post a Comment