Saturday, March 16, 2019

Slice of Life Story Challenge #16 - Dreamers

 My focus this month is to explore writing invitations, mostly through newly published picture books, but possibly some other mentor texts as well.



DreamersDreamers by Yuyi Morales
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

bookshelves: 2018-book, diversity, fearandcourage, character-who-reads, books-about-books, hispanic, immigrants, journey, family, home, mock-caldecott-2019, multicultural, memoir, picture-book, weneeddiversebooks  
Beautiful. I'm reading it in a variety of professional learning experiences!

View all my reviews

On the last page of this beautiful book, the narrator of this book, Yuyi herself, an immigrant from Mexico, writes this about her and her son:

We are stories.
We are two languages.
We are lucha.
We are resilience.
We are hope.

We are dreamers,
soñadores of the world.
We are
Love Amor
Love

Writing invitation: Write beside this poetic description of the relationship between mother and son and describe an important relationship.

We are laughter.
We are girls trips.
We are college roommates.
We are repeating hilarious stories.
We are clinking glasses.

We are best friends,
friends of the best kind.

We are
Forever

(My group of 5 best friends)

3 comments:

  1. I love how you're doing this, Fran. It's such a beautiful way to honor picture books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Dreamers is an enchanting picture book that is gorgeously illustrated and deliciously written. I could definitely use it as a mentor text / writing invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this invitation. I'm intrigued by the way you are using picture books to step into writing during this year's challenge. You're over halfway there!!!

    ReplyDelete